Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Embers in the home fire


Home fires.
The kind that warm your heart
ease your soul
extinguishes your shortcomings
and ignites your strengths.
Those are the kind of home fires
worth coming home for--
the kind I've been building my whole mother life.

Since Nana's arrival on Monday
it has been one long continuing glowing fire...
it began with her tight embrace
as she walked in the door
and stoked by long conversations
every minute of every day--
in the car
at the table
on the sofa
dancing in the kitchen
baking at the stove
loading the dishes
shopping the mall
singing in the car

thoughts n' feelings
burning hot and bright
to
warm and glowing embers.

Topics range from the distant past
to the here and now
and plans for days ahead.

Her heart has been singed being out in the world
these past 7 months--
leaving her a little raw
but saged just a shy.
Appreciation is more acute
for home and family
just as I knew would inevitably happen.
Needed to happen.

My confidant, "I-know-who-I-am-n'-what-I-want-girl" went away to the West side of the Rockies
and came home a humble "I-found-out-who-I-am-and-what-I-don't-want-young woman".

It's been good for her, really.

N' It's funny--
this girl who loves to GO GO GO
has stayed at my side
as others have beckoned her to come n' play.
She not ready to play.
She's still sitting by the fire.

7 comments:

  1. Your posts are always so poetic. I love it!
    I wish I had a fireplace right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, and so comforting.. just like a cozy fireplace- so poetic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life teaches us what we need to know, doesn't it? Glad the One in charge always seems to know just which experiences we need.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely - what you wrote and how you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome!
    I love that you expressed it so well. It's great to have them get a touch of homesickitis. Makes you feel so good.

    I love when the family comes home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, she has been missing her momma!! (Or I guess I should say Momza:-) That is sweet. It is always nice to have them home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet you light a nice fire, Momza!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!