Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I'm A Christian and A Mormon



I love my Savior Jesus Christ.
He is my Redeemer and my truest, dearest Friend.
I know that He loves me and knows me by name.
I worship Him and my Heavenly Father and noone else.
Not Joseph Smith--the man who restored the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth
or
Thomas S. Monson, the man who is called as our Prophet today.
I do not worship them.
I love their testimonies of Christ and their witness of His Divinity.
I am a Christian because I follow Christ.
I am not an Evangelical.
I am not a Protestant.
I am a Latter-Day Saint.
A Mormon.


Politics are not my thing.
I vote when I believe in a candidate
on any level--
local, regional or for POTUS...
and when I don't believe any of the candidates
I don't vote
for a "party" out of loyalty.

But it's near-impossible to ignore
the media's reporting on that Texas pastor,
Jeffress' remarks about
my faith.
It was even spoofed on the
Jon Stewart show last night.
I wasn't laughing.

The spoof was unilaterally discrediting
the Protestant, LDS and Jewish faiths--
but it wasn't funny.
It was unnerving.
And yes, I get that that's the point--
to bring to light the "ridiculousness"
of the very topic of
"faith" and contrast it with politics.
It doesn't fit.
Not in the world we live in
in 2011.

Truth is the world would be better if politics
had a moral, ethical, spiritual standard as it's foundation
we all know that,
but then we're mixing Church and State
and that's inherently controversial right there.

The LDS Church doesn't tell me who to vote for--
it just says to vote for the best candidate that my conscience allows.
I don't know Mitt Romney.
I've been reading up on him this last year,
assuming he might run again for President.
I'm not going to vote for him simply because he's
a member of my faith.
I know what he believes as a member of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
What I don't know is
what he believes in as a
Republican Politician.
Truth is, I'm not sure about him yet.

What I am sure about is that I will not be voting for Rick Perry.
The fact that he chose Mr. Jeffress to speak for him
who is already on the record for his anti-Mormon opinions
speaks loudly to me about the kind of man Rick Perry is.
We are the company we keep.


I used to be Protestant.
I was raised in the Baptist faith--
and my father's side of the family are all members of
The Holy Pentecostal faith.
Some of them have their theology degrees from
The San Antonio International Bible College
and have run their own churches.
My father graduated from that same place.
But he chose not to be a pastor/reverend when he
became a young adult.
Frankly, it was because of the salary;
he became a salesman of goods
rather than a salesman of God.


When I was a teenager,
I studied the LDS faith at the invitation of a wonderful friend--
and chose for myself to be baptized into it.
I wasn't brain-washed or tricked into it.
Nope, I was taught the doctrine and invited to pray and know for myself
if it was true.
The Holy Ghost answered that prayer
and I have been a member going on 33 years next month.
Yes, it was that powerful of an answer
that changed my life forever.

I don't appreciate being told that I'm not a Christian
by people who profess to know Christ themselves.
And it's a lie.
It's a lie to protect their lifestyles.
I know Christ.
I have felt His love for me
in my darkest hours.
The Holy Ghost whispers peace to my soul
and witnesses the truth of all things to my heart and mind.
I am a Christian.
So when I hear from someone who has their own agenda--
political, social, or otherwise
that they know my faith better than I do,
it is insulting and wrong.
I know what I believe and in whom I put my faith.
I am not "misguided" or "deceived"--
it is literally the opposite.

I've sat in on Sunday School classes in the Baptist Churches of my youth
when it was "Cult Sunday".
I know what they preach against--
anyone who is not like them:
other Protestants, Catholics, 7th Day Adventists,
"The Mormons", and (gasp!) "The Jews"...
and any other perceived threat to their livelihood
or status in the community.


We don't have classes like that in the LDS Church--
we recognize that all faiths have good in them
as they extend the invitation to follow Christ.
Our time isn't spent together bashing other faiths
but strengthening our own.
That's why you don't hear a huge backlash from the
14+ Million members across the globe
when we're accused of all kinds of stupid things.
We don't have horns,
We don't have more than one spouse,
We don't do anything weird in our temples.
We do wear sacred garments.
And I find that that's a confusing topic of interest to people outside of our faith,
because if you look around
many faiths have unique sacred items of dress,
though usually on the outside
where ours is worn on the inside.
Just as our prayers are not to be shouted in public
for attention
Neither are our personal tokens of faith.
It's truly personal.

Okay, so I'm off track a bit--
I just wanted to set the record straight for anyone
who is not LDS and reads this to know
that I am a Christian and a Mormon.
The sign on my church building reads:
The Church of Jesus Christ 
of Latter-Day Saints.

Last week,
Jen Denton over at the Denton Sanatorium
shared our faith over the course of the whole week!
I loved how she did it and recommend it highly!

If you are not a member of the LDS faith and have questions,
please ASK.
I'll answer as best as I can and if you're also invited to check out the
Church's Official websites:
LDS.org
or
mormon.org


14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! Thank you for taking the time to post it. I have been wanting to write one similar as I too am Christian and a Mormon but every time I start it comes out all wrong.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    Thanks for the shout-out. I have to say that writing that series last week was the hardest week of blogging I've ever had. But I'm so glad I did it.
    I'm a Mormon and a Christian too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Dawn!!! What a great reminder that it's the relationship that is MOST important not the religion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also a Mormon and a Christian.
    And proud to be.

    (And proud of you, too.)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I loved this post - thank you for taking the time to share these many thoughts . . . I enjoyed it from your perspective as a 33 year convert to the church . . . having been raised in the church all my life sometimes it's hard for me to understand life outside of the church but I certainly try! I loved all your thoughts!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a wonderful post Momza. Although I'm not a Mormon and don't share all of your beliefs, I do think yours should be respected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED your post! Your thoughts, feelings, and especially your testimony were just what I needed to hear today. Thank you for sharing today what I haven't been able to put into words myself. I am a Christian and a Mormon too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautifully said. I have a hard time with politics, but this one is sure stirring the pot.. everywhere I go.. family get-togethers, work. People don't really have questions about the Mormon religion, they just want to vent about the politics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quote by C.S. Lewis: "Once we allow people to start spiritualizing and refining, or as they might say 'deepening' the sense of the word Christian...it will become a useless word....It is not for us to say who, in the deepest sense, is or is not close to the spirit of Christ. We do not see into men's hearts. We cannot judge...It would be wicked arrogance for us to say that any man is, or is not, a Christian."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done!! I love what you wrote and how you wrote it! Thanks for your wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Beautiful declaration of you and what you believe. Beautiful declaration of tolerance and respect.
    I love this and I loved Jen's week last week. It was good.

    I am LDS and proud of it. Thanks for being so eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful - great job - great writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been able to comment on your more recent post ... and it took about ten minutes to even get this combox to open. I wanted to tell you how beautiful your girls are. Diana and Daisie look like twins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The comment form on your daughters post isn't working. Just wanted to let you know because I have a feeling a lot of readers will want to chime in!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!