Monday, October 3, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

The 181st General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
was held this past weekend.
I remember when the 150th Conference.
It was the first and only one I got to go to in person.
President Kimball was the Prophet then.
I loved seeing him with my own two eyes.
And LeGrand Richards.
Bruce R. McConkie.
N. Eldon Tanner
Marion G. Romeny too

That was such a beautiful Conference.

This past weekend,
Dani and her boys came down to watch it on TV
with us.
I made a new Paula Deen recipe called Sausage & Grits for breakfast,
that I didn't let "set up" before serving,
so it was kinda mushy,
and has earned the nickname "babyfood" in the house.
It was delicious mind you,
and it was even better once it cooled,
but it was kinda like mushy babyfood at first.
Dani cared for baby Isaac--she is essentially tethered to that sweet boy
most of the day and night,
n' the yahoos chased and played and loved
on Garrett

After Saturday's session,
we all went to Fox Run Park and enjoyed the perfect weather.
I had to work during the 2nd session,
so I went to the showroom for a few hours
and then came home and made dinner.
We had some friends over and the guys all went to Preisthood Session--
this was Joseph's first time as he is going to turn 12 in November
and will receive the Aaronic Priesthood!
The girls stayed home,
gabbed about their babies, husbands, recipes--
cutting up red onions, red peppers, preparing the enchiladas
and whatever else we thought about.
We went around the table and asked the same three questions
we ask at almost every meal:
1) What was the best part of your day?
2) Name something you did for someone else.
3) What's something you learned today?


I love hearing all the children's answers.
Most of the time their replies are funny,
sometimes they're serious,
always appreciated.

Sunday was a true Sabbath day.
We watched Conference again--
ate a little,
nodded off a little,
cried a little.
I miss President Hinckley.
I wonder if there'll come a time when I won't?
All I know is that when Conference time comes along,
I miss him.
His smile,
his eyes,
his cheerful encouragement
and "grandfatherly" ways.

I found that most of the talks I heard,
touched my heart
in some way or other
and maybe it's just age that has done this to me or what--
but my tear ducts are much more active these days.
I mean, I've always been such a boob,
but man, things are getting worse
and there's no relief in sight!

This was one of my favorite conference talks,
from the Priesthood Session,
Elder Holland



If you'd like to see more, go here.

And lastly,
I want to remember the many moments
that will soon fade away from my mind--
the blessed moments I had holding my grandson, Isaac.
He is a delightful, peaceful little child.
He nose scrunches,
his body flexes and then limps like a noodle,
his squeaks and coos feed my mother heart.
I am so blessed to be a Grandmother.
Is there anything sweeter?

This morning,
Diana texted and asked if she might home next week
for a long visit.
She was just here over Labor Day with her friends,
and she, like the rest of her siblings, doesn't get homesick--
so when she called,
I knew something was up.
I called Mr. W at work,
to which he responded,
"It must be important enough for her to ask."
So I bought a ticket for her.
When I called to tell her Dad's response,
the other end was was slight muffling and sniffling.
"Thank you."
Girlfriend needs to come home and get some perspective.
N' that's always good.

Family is all we have, really.
There are so many distractions in the world
that vie for our attention, our talents, our egos--
home is not a place you go only when you're sick,
or bored of the other distractions.
Home is the most worthwhile place you can invest
your time, talent and means.
Home really is where the Heart Should Be.

have a good day.


10 comments:

  1. Loved conference. And my tear ducts were pretty active, too.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what a wonderful quote from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful family weekend. and I sure hope everything is okay with your girl. she is blessed with a warm and loving family as her shelter whenever she needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a powerful talk by Elder Holland. You don't have to read between the lines on that one, he was very clear with his remarks.

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE conference weekend. I have never gone to a live session, it is on my bucket list to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conference weekend is beautiful for so many reasons - the messages, spending time with family, really really enjoying each other and a great spirituality, and, of course, eating yummy food (wink!).
    You have a good one :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. When President Hinckley passed away, I said sadly "I never got to meet him."

    My husband smiled a little and said, "You will."

    There will come a day when we will never miss anyone ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet little post!
    I love that you got a ticket for your gal to come home.

    Love your description of your sleeping grandson. So sweet.

    It was a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Momza~
    what a beautiful post!
    I always,and I mean ALWAYS, benefit from your posts..today was no exception..
    You summed it up in the last paragraph..
    Family and home!!
    and for someone (me) to be so far away from mine..is often difficult..
    As both parents are deceased,my sis Di has become even more the HEART of our family..
    she is not only my sis, but my bestest friend and confidante..She keeps the home-fires burning..and the porch-light is always on..
    "My room" at her house is always ready..and hers, here, is the only room where the furbabies are not allowed!
    thanks again for making my morning!
    and thanks for the delightful comment..
    (Aspens..I'm not sure of the location, somewhere around Estes park.. the path in the woods was sent from a friend)
    warmest hugs..
    laughing smiles too..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't you so glad your kids call when they have a problem? I always feel a slight satisfaction that they still need me. Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet post! It sounds like you had a very nice weekend. We went to Utah where I got to be with my girls, my mother and my sisters and we blessed Camden. It was a nice time--mostly.

    I am glad Dani was able to come down and spend time with you all. I am sure that was much needed after the past few weeks of sickness. it is great you can help out so much.

    And I loved conference! It filled my soul.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!