Sunday, November 20, 2011

After-Effects


Since the car accident,
life has taken a curve--
I thought life was getting better
actually--
I really did.
The Chiropractor I've been seeing
told me to give the concussion
7-10 days.
I counted down those days
one by one
and was almost to the finish line
until the doc adjusted my neck
in such a way
that all symptoms returned.

SO I went to a neurologist,
and my Internist
who has prescribed a
Catscan tomorrow.
I can't recall all the amount of information
that these docs have given me--
Diana went with me to the appts so she knows,
but what I can remember is that
it's gonna be alot longer than 7-10 days.
Boo.
There's some kind of concern about a lesion on my brain.
Nice, hunh?
I wonder how the 17 year old texting kid who hit me
going 45 mph is feeling these days?

I haven't been up to going to work again
since the accident.
Heck, I haven't even made my bed
in recent days
because I've been in it.
The brain injury has made me feel different emotions--
as I told my doctor
I feel Super-Emotional just under the surface.
(I would actually wear a shirt that has a big SE on it,
just to warn people.)
I know understand how people's personalities change
significantly with a brain injury...
first off, I'm tired all the time.
And I'm Impatient...whining sets me off.
And I do not like having to ask or say something
more than once--
which isn't good when there's still kids and teens at home.
Noise aggravates me.
I'm cranky--a lot.
Light bothers my eyes...
so even "a day in the sunshine" is uncomfortable.
And I tears well-up without warning.
See? It's weird.

My thoughts and sentences come out like I'm speaking morse-code--
everything's all choppy and slow.
Thank goodness for spell-check.

There are things that I haven't blogged about
because my brain is not working:
My friends gave me a 50th birthday party.
Joseph turned 12 and rec'd the Aaronic Preisthood.
Diana's home.  Or did I already share that?
Yeah, she's home and
wishing she was back
on the West side of the Rockies
because of a boy whose already forgotten about her
because the ratio of girls to boys over there is something like
250:1.
That's been fun.
Not.
Dean was removed from the Host Home he's been in since last January
because the HHP was found guilty of neglect.
I just found all this out on Friday.
I was very emotional about that--
I hate that he had to move again because of stupid people.
I know it's disruptive to his life and he has no control over that.
The former HHP (host home Provider) called me all upset right after Dean
was removed from their house--
this is the same man who, when I asked if they could meet me half-way with Dean
so we could have more time with him here,
told me "It's not worth my time and money."--
this guy wanted me to force the agency to put Dean back into their home.
Can you believe that?
Seriously.
I got this call between Dr's appointments--
so all I could say is "I'll get back to you."
when what I wanted to say is,
"Why on earth would I force Dean back into your home?  Your wife admitted that she'd neglected him for 2 weeks to make a point to the agency so you guys would get more money?!!!  It's not worth my time and money, dude. You're lucky I don't press charges."


But I didn't say any of that.
I just hung up and cried thinking about Dean
going to a total stranger's house that day
with zero warning.

His case worker called a few hours later to tell me
the move went fine and Deano was "ecstatic" (her word)
with his new place.
The husband is a Deputy Sheriff (I think--some kind of cop),
and the wife is...shoot, can't remember what she does.
Anyway, Dean's fascination with policeman was stirred
and when I spoke to him yesterday,
he didn't sound "ecstatic" at all,
but disoriented and quiet.
I keep telling myself that he was probably distracted by something
while talking to me and when we see him over thanksgiving this week,
I'll know more.

All of this has forced me to look heavenward for answers.

Dean is known by his Shepherd.
This life is not a carnival ride for Dean--
he too, must have lessons and experiences he needs
for whatever reasons,
to gain what he can from this Life.
Heavenly Father has tailored specific lessons
just for Dean and will not leave him alone for even an instant
as he travels through this mortal existance.
Knowing this gives my mother-heart peace.

As for my brain crap,
well there's gotta be a reason for it.
Maybe it's to slow my "running-around-like-chicken-with-its-head-cut-off" self
down...
cu'z that's certainly happened.
Maybe it's to get my focus more focused
on the really important things in life--
I'm easily distracted (squirrel!).

I don't really know why or what the reason is
behind this mess,
but I do know that my patriarchal blessing says
I will be blessed with a keen mind and be able to recall important things.
I'm claiming that blessing as mine all mine.
I'm claiming it and clinging to it.
That's what's keeping me sane through this.

Today, Joseph is passing the sacrament for the first time
and he'll be sitting up on the stand with the Bishop.
He got a haircut and a new suit last night,
so he'll look all holy up there in front of God and everyone.
Shoot, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

I've re-read this post through to make corrections,
but I'm sure I've missed as many as I've caught,
so your patience is appreciated.
Feel free to correct me in the comments,
I won't be offended...
heck, I probably won't remember
but there you have it.

Oh, yeah--one more thing:
If you are having a thanksgiving dinner this week,
will you take pictures of your sacred dinner table
with your family all around
and hold onto that photo for me?
I've got a small project going on
and will tell you more later!
(My one ounce of creativity is bursting through! yea!)









11 comments:

  1. Sorry you're having a rough recovery. I know what that is, because I was in a car accident in 1990 where my head hit the side of the car as we spun around, and I had cognitive problems for quite awhile. The first month was the worst, but it lingered a bit. And boy, it wasn't pleasant. Not with kids at home. Once I even forgot to pick them up from school. Another time, I forgot that I was supposed to teach a lesson for night Relief Society and didn't even show up. It was pretty crazy. The good news is that you just have to give your brain some time to reshuffle all those files it dropped. Hang in there!

    Hugs.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heck!!! I've been reading the past several posts. First of all- Happy Birthday (a few days late) Second of all-So sorry about your accident and the concussion and the long time to heal! How wonderful to have family to help (at times hinder) the process.
    I hope Dean really is ecstatic about his new place. That has got to be so hard for you.
    It will take time, I'll remember you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((hugs))) what a terrible time for you. I am certain it will be for a Reason, but that doesn't make it easier to bear. I pray nothing worrisome is found in your brain, that you just need more time to rest and heal. It is hard not to be angry with that stupid inconsiderate teenager. I felt the same way about the teenager who hit me, left me unconscious in hospital, and went skiing. I'm really sorry too about Dean's situation, and hope very much this time he's in a good home with good people.

    Congratulations to your Joseph and many blessings to him, and to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn--
    I can't believe this has been your life lately. Here I've been complaining that my computer's funky. So sorry, and I wish I could scoop up that big boy of yours and bring him to live with us for a while.
    Happy 50th. I'm glad you at least remembered to go to your party ;)
    And I love your new background, very cheery. I'll be sure to take a photo of dinner. I'm sure everyone will groan . . . and then I'll blame it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to read about your accident. I hope you are feeling better soon. What a mess! Although--on a slightly humorous note, there is a lady in our ward who had a serious brain injury do to an accident (almost lost her life and had to learn to do everything again). She also changed her personality completely!! She wasn't a super nice person before and now she is super, super sweet.

    Anyway--I am sorry for you. And I am sorry to hear about Dean. Our lesson today in YW was about dealing with change--both the expected and unexpected. It is so much easier to give a lesson about it than to actually do it.

    My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That brain thing sounds scary, so sorry you have to travel that experience. I hope this week is a happy one! You still sound upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. man o man you've really got a lot on your plate! sorry about all the messy stuff and glad you can enjoy the good stuff. Here's to you sharing your stories with us.. and we can send our thoughts and prayers your way! your blog friends are here for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Momza, I'm so sorry that you have been having some serious issues with this. That is so not fun. Lived the same thing several years ago.
    You are in my prayers dear friend. I hope that things get smoothed out with Dean and with you. Now, in fact.

    Love you.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    (my Thanksgiving table will look a bit different than most I'm sure. It will be decorated with charts, blood samples and nurses most likely)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? You were in an accident? Oh no, I am so sorry. Stinkin' texting teens, I think they should have their licenses revoked until they are 21 and can prove they are more mature (although some would never get their license).

    Sending hugs and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need you to friend me so I can find you on FB!

    Hope you are doing better today and getting ready for everyone to come over the river and through the woods. (which is exactly what it would be like to come to your home in those beautiful Rockies)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe I missed your accident news! I hope you and your brain feel better soon. Big warm wishes...

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!