Wednesday, November 23, 2011

'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is about "family" and "food"
this we know...
similar to the baseball spirit voice in
"Field of Dreams"--
"If you serve it, 
they will come."


This Thanksgiving will be unusual for our little family--
it won't be just us around the dinner table!
Actually, we don't have a "little" family at all--
when we're all together
there's 12 of us, 
I think--
hold on while I count...
7 + 4 + 2
Oops! make that 13 of us
and that's just immediate family!


Add to that Mr. Idaho's family 
who're here too
from, ya know, Idaho--
and we've got a whole lotta more people
to dig in and enjoy the holiday with!
Bring it! I say!


My small confession however, is that I've done exactly 
zero shopping for this meal so far.
Zero, Zip, Nada, None.
Because I've been a lazy puke this week (and last)--
only going to doctor appointments,
meeting with a personal injury attorney,
having my brain scanned cat-style,
more x-rays than is probably healthy for me,
and then watching more TV than ever
because basically, 
my brain has been toast 
since the stupid accident.


But today is the day--
I've made my shopping list
and checked it twice
so with the assistance of the 3 youngest yahoos,
we shall attempt to get the grocery goods
and commence ta cookin'!


Since I'm not making the turkey (Mr. Idaho's Mom is)
my main menu will be
Deviled eggs (everybody loves 'em!),
dozen eggs
1/2 c. mayo
2 tsp. mustard
paprika
Boil the eggs. Peel eggs. Slice in halves. Mix mustard and mayo with the egg yolks. Spoon into egg white "holes". Sprinkle with paprika. *Tarragon is good too, but optional. (The secret to getting little kids to enjoy them is to keep the ingredients simple.)


Fresh cranberry sauce
Bag of cranberries
One cup of water
One cup of sugar
Boil the water and sugar together.
Add cranberries.
Boil for a few more minutes until cranberries have "popped" open.
Remove from heat.
Let cool to room temp. and then refrigerate.


Sausage and sage dressing
This is super easy!
Just use whatever kind of stuffing mix you want
and follow the directions on the package.
Then, add a pound of sausage/sage to it
and mushrooms if you like.*

Cranberry salsa

Cranberry Salsa
1 bag of fresh raw cranberries—washed
1 granny smith apple –cored and chunked
½ red pepper
½ red onion
¾ c sugar
1/3 c sugar
3 T cilantro
3 T fresh jalapeno pepper
1 T grated lime zest
1 T lime juice

Put all ingredients into food processor.  Chop just until chunky.  Enjoy with chips or topping for baked chicken/salmon, brie cheese or sandwich spread.



Candied yams


LG. Canned yams
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 TB. cinnamon
1/4c butter
Spread over yams.
Top with marshmallows.
Cover and bake 400o for 25 minutes. or until marshmallows have melted/browned.


* I also use the stuffing mix to make Stuffed Mushrooms--
Use the stems for the dressing (chopped well),
Then fill the fresh mushroom caps with the stuffing mix
Drizzle a little butter over top and sprinkle with paprika and a snip of fresh parsley.
Easy peasy and everyone likes it!

And that's all that I'm bringing to the table this year to eat.

One other thing, to decorate the tables very simply and requires just a vase and a sprig of pine in water!


Simply grab your scissors or sheers,
snip off a just a sprig of pine (doesn't matter what kind)
long enough to fill the clear glass vase and above it however much you want,
then fill with water.
Smells and looks great!


You can also fill the vase with cranberries before putting in the pine,
but either way looks festive!


One last thing:
My Gratitude is Full this year as it hasn't been in many years
and I must acknowledge The Blessings in my life--
since 2006 we have not had our own home-
this year, five years later, and after many prayers and blessings,
I am cooking in my own kitchen in my own house again.
I am more grateful than words can express.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!


4 comments:

  1. That actually is a lot to ask of you..... here's to hoping that the large family can all pitch in and make it fun for you, and less stressful and MUCH more joyous!!! have fun with all the kids and babies!!!!(in your own house no less!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum. Hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you will be plenty busy. Hopefully your crowds while shopping weren't horrible.

    I'm so happy that you are enjoying cooking a meal in your very own kitchen!
    It sounds like you will have a houseful!
    Such a blessing.

    I hope you get some answers on your CT scan. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only you would still be doing all of this with a concussion. You are something else, Dawn. Unsinkable!

    Have a wonderful day with your big crowd. We have a mixed group of immediate family and in-laws today, too, and we are going to have a blast.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!