Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What Triggers You to Speak Up?



Yesterday one of my bloggy peeps, Kazzy
was just living life,
minding her own business,
until she saw someone toss a BIG GULP 
out of their car window.
Then, she stepped out of her comfort zone,
chased that fellow down
and confronted him
about tossing trash in her town.
Kazzy said that she knew she would have to do that
as it is a "trigger" for her.


Well, all of this brave talk got my 
thinker thinking
about what my triggers are--
when do I step out of my comfort zone
and speak up?


And like a red flag,
there it waved in my noggin--
Child Abuse.


I have witnessed child abuse in public
and I speak up.
One time I was in a Kmart retail store,
and there was a woman in her 30's
yanking a barely two-year-old around 
by the hair
by the arm
by her clothing
while that child was in the cart--
yelling profanities at this baby
who was clueless about what the momma wanted
and tears just streaming down her cheeks.
I stood and took it in for a moment
to be sure of what I was seeing,
and when it was clear the woman was out of control,
I calmly walked over to her
and said,
"Can I help? It looks like you're having a hard time.
She is just a baby.  She doesn't understand what you want."


The woman snapped out of her world
and looked at me wide-eyed, 
as if she had no idea where I came from--
and she was rude...
among other colorful things,
told me to mind my own business
as she pushed the cart away.


I immediately went to the Customer Service counter
and calmly reported what I'd seen and pointed out the woman.
And then, 
I stood at the counter while the store's security personnel approached the woman
and as they passed by me with her in tow,
I looked her straight in the eye
because
Yes, it is my business.
And that baby needed someone to speak up for her.
You do need help whether you know it or not.
You may have gotten away with this behavior so far,
but not today, not in front of me.
I noticed. And I spoke up.


After we left the store,
( I had several of my own children with me),
I hugged my kids and I cried from the emotion of it all.


That's not the only time--
I've spoken to people in parking lots,
restaurants,
even at Church...
I think it happens because people lose perspective--
frustration and stress is high
or
maybe they don't know any better
because that's just how they were raised,
and
they think no one will notice,
and even if they do--
no one will speak up.


Why do I do it?
I've seen enough abuse in my life,
that I know how important it is to stand up 
and not turn a blind eye.
Because that's what enables people to keep doing what they're doing--
it's like giving them permission to keep at it.


Whether it's tossing trash out of a window on a city street,
or slapping a child in public.


It's not okay,
and the hope is that we can all 
make
"Injustice" a trigger

that pushes us to speak up.

What about you?

What's your trigger?







9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your courage. I speak out rarely, because I am scared to. But one thing that usually triggers me is when little children are left unattended. I have stayed by a four year old playing on a ride toy in the mall while his mother was grocery shopping. Stayed 20 minutes. When she finally returned, she was more upset that her son had kicked me than that she'd left him alone to talk to a stranger (who was luckily not a child abuser or murderer) for 20 minutes. This neglect of children happens so often, and it breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's mine, too. When I see people being mistreated, I speak up. In fact, I can't stop myself.

    Nor do I want to.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I find that show "What Would You Do?" to be fascinating. But I majored in sociology and find people's behavior interesting. Which is why I like to judge. :)

    I haven't witnessed a lot of things like that, but I have called the police a couple of times when I've seen children left in hot cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOst recently my trigger was someone taking advantage of a friend because she is kind and the type of person who will do anything she is asked - where others say "no" alot. Because of her kindness she gets "dumped on" alot (so sad but true) and so I stepped in and let some people know that it wasn't OK - that they were stomping on her kind heart and that she needed to be appreciated and treated well.
    It worked too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it was your business and I applaud you for speaking out. I would have wanted to slap the woman and ask her "how d'you like it???"
    I saw a woman, who I assume was a grandmother, with her daughter and her daughter's baby. The grandmother was smoking a cigarette. I was so angry, but I didn't say anything. Should have.
    I just can't stand it when people treat their babies so callusly when I'd give anything to have what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for speaking up about that woman! I have a hard time speaking up, because I don't want to appear judgmental or better-than-thou. But if you do it the right way, I'm sure it's appreciated, either in the moment or down the road.

    Although I did speak up to my sister once, about the way she was treating my parents. She was being very verbally abusive to them, and so I told her it wasn't cool. She didn't like that, and there's been a coolness between us since, but I don't regret telling her how I felt about that. And it made her stop for now, so that's good.

    Sorry to hear about your accident. I think driver's ed should include a texting while driving simulation, so kids can see how much their attention gets pulled away from the road.

    Also, I hope all goes well for your Dean. Bless you for being such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you.
    I am a speaker upper too.
    It depends on the moment, but I don't hesitate to walk into our street and slow cars down when they are speeding.
    I don't hesitate to call the police when I see someone skulking around someone's back yard in my neighborhood.

    Like you I'm appalled at abuse. In the ER we see so much. I speak up.

    I've walked up to someone in the store and stood there when they were screaming at the child.
    Ya, it is my business.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm good at reporting things -- calling 911 when I see a situation that seems unsafe. But actually confronting someone? Not so much.

    I think this post is going to stay with me for a long while. I hope it moves me to action when its called for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this, You have given me much to think about, and I admire you stepping in.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!