Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Flurries


You know my favorite kind of snowstorm?
The kind that I don't have to go out into.
We're having that kind of day here today
at the foothills of Pikes Peak.
My world is truly a winter wonderland here
and I'm loving it.


(our neighbor's house across the street--isn't it festive?)
This is my favorite Colorado--
snow fallin' like nobody's business,
the houses that line our street are covered in white
and the glow of Christmas tree lights twinkling
makes everything feel a bit magical.

This week, we baked a few dozens of our favorite cookies--
eaten as much as we've given away, truth be told here,
and enjoyed every little bit.

I am getting those tingly feelings inside
that began when I was just a little girl
on Christmas morning--
you know those feelings, right?
Tickle-y, nervous, anxious about what's-going-to-be- 
under-the-tree- kinda feelings?
Christmas flurries.
I've already got them.
Present planning and wrapping,
menu planning and making,
having most of our yahoos home
to share this holiday with--
all of it, 
adds to my Christmas flurries.

We're ready to go.
I've shared before that we observe 
The Four Gifts of Christmas--
but I'll share again what that is:

Each person receives FOUR gifts...

*Gold: Something Special, something asked for or truly needed. “worth gold” in sentiment. (wrap it in gold paper/bag!)
*Frankincense: Something Spiritual/Inspiring for the individual.
*Myrhh: Something to encourage the individual’s talents or hobby.
*Santa Claus: Something whimsical, fun, unexpected. (wrap it in cartoon paper/bag ie: santa, snowman; make it FUN!)

So that there are not disappointments on Christmas morning, I have the children write their letters to Santa, listing 5 different possible gifts in each category.  That way, there are still surprises, and I feel free to put a "twist" on certain gifts if I want to.  We adopted this tradition about 8 years ago, and I really like it. The oldest kids have continued it into their adulthood and families as well.  So that says something, I think.

Gift Ideas:
A year ago, we gave Diana her temple slippers for a Frankincense gift, with a personal handwritten note with the thought that "all roads lead to the temple" attached.
For a Myrhh gift: I ordered special art prints from the Victoria and Albert Museum. for both Dani and Diana.
As a Gold gift, we once surprised Dara with a new stereo.  It wasn't on her list at all, but she went wild opening it!
Last year, we gave Joseph and Arianna mountain climbing gear for their Myrhh gifts and they were surprised and excited.

Anyway, that's how we observe gift-giving in our family.

Christmas Eve has it's own traditions too--Mr. W brought some with him as he came into our family. One is to cook tritip steaks and crablegs. It's evolved so that we may or may not have tri-tip steak--we've made bechamel lasagna instead, but we almost always have crablegs, if we can help it.  The kids love that tradition for some reason.  And we allow one gift to be opened Christmas eve too--it won't be one of the Four, but usually it's the gift from the person who drew their name for a family gift. 

Man, I'm getting excited just thinking about what's coming the next few days, aren't you?!!

What gives you Christmas flurries?





7 comments:

  1. I love this, Dawn. And I am going to copy it next year, if you don't mind. I tried that something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read concept this year, and I just didn't like it. I felt constrained. Your idea is perfection!

    =)

    PS. If you have time, I posted my Christmas Eve story today. (Not a short one, but it does grab your heart.) I think it will be right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man am I jealous of all that snow. It just screams Christmas card!

    I love how you have put thought and meaning into Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Momza!!
    how i love this post...not that i don't love your others.. because i truly do..
    but this one hit home..
    the beauty of the season..
    the inside tingly feelings..
    anticipation I guess?
    but what moved me more than anything else is the tradition of four gifts.. and the explanation of each!
    how I wish I'd known this and put it into practice..
    I know next Christmas, I will be following those same traditions..
    i always learn something. when I stop by!!
    thank you for being such an inspiration!!
    ps.. When the snow starts.. I always think of you and your gang!!
    warmest hugs and laughing smiles!!
    much love!
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home looks beautiful!
    I love that kind of snow. I'm all tingling thinking about Christmas too.
    BUT we don't have any snow! So weird for us.

    Merry Christmas dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I really miss in an AZ Christmas. Would you take one second today while you're looking out the window and suck it all in for me? You're lucky.
    Merry Christmas, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a great tradition of gift-giving! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Snow!! We have had none as in ZERO. It is sooo very weird. So I will just sit here and look at yours for awhile. We are all hoping we get a white Christmas.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!