Monday, January 9, 2012

Ahhh The Weekend

Monday already?
It was a busy weekend:
Saturday morning we got right to it
and got the housework done,
then worked on organizing the garage
(I have yet to be able to pull my Sub
ALL THE WAY inside)
We moved things around in there last weekend
but the doggone car was still too long to fit
by about a bumpers' length.
So, we worked on that.
And we looked at garage organizational plans
and I came across this amazing system!

So going to do this!
It'll get things off the floor and the walls
and use the space on the ceiling for storage.
Brilliant, hunh?!
We got the kids to help us spiff up the yard,
take down holiday lights,
wash and vacuum the cars.
We also baked some cookies and took them over 
to some new neighbors who moved on our street this past week.
And then, later
Mr. W and I had a Date Night at Texas Roadhouse.
Delish!

Sunday is Church--it starts at 9am this year.
(last year it was @1pm)
I like the earlier meeting times,
altho my favorite time is the 10am slot.
Anywho, we got a new Bishopric yesterday--
it's kinda funny that when our Stake President announced why he was in attendance,
I immediately started thinking about 
"who it could be?"--
Bro. Bailey?
Bro. Bahr?
Bro. Gardner?
and on and on
and then he said Brother Hart's name
and it was like, 
"Oh yeah. Of course! I love his family."
We witnessed the mantel of Bishop literally settle upon his shoulders,
as he bore his testimony to us,
and that was probably one of the most spiritual experiences I've had 
in a long time.
***
After Sacrament,
we invited our Stake Patriarch, Bro. C, and his wife over for dinner.
He is our home teacher and she has been coming over with him
while our other home teacher has been deployed with the Air Force.
So we've gotten to know them for awhile now and love them.
We made fresh salmon steaks, rice pilaf, garlic bread and a salad with feta cheese.
I was excited and nervous. I know. It makes no sense,
but it was out of my comfort zone to invite them over
( they're so holy and all)
I wanted it to be extraordinarily good for them and our family.
Even writing this seems awkward, but hey! I am awkward so there you have it.
In my efforts to make things especially nice,
I had Joseph lay out my best lace tablecloth,
and Ari set the table with our special white dishes and "mexicans"--
the name she gave these goblets when she was about 3 years old
I don't know why she gave them such a name back then,
but the last time I asked her why,
she said they reminded her of a mexican restaurant,
so there ya go.
Anyway, the funniest thing was when Sister C called and said,
"Are you guys watching the game?"
"Uh no, the TV's not on, but we can turn it on for you."
"Oh good. I bleed blue."
"Blue? Oh is BYU playing?"
"Broncos, dear, Broncos--I don't want to just sit and watch the game, 
but would like to keep an eye on it."
"Oh sure, Kent'll love to have it on while you're here."

Isn't that so funny? This sister is old enough to be my mother and I woulda never guessed she was a football fan.

The evening went so well. I'm so grateful to know them and have them in our lives.
The fact that the Broncos won put the cherry on top!

Life is good.
I love my family.
I love my role as wife and mother. It is fulfilling and so much more exciting than I ever imagined it could be.

In our "Don't Suck" efforts we're doing good--
"Doing our Part"
"Being a Good Example"
"Serving Others"
"Doing what other people who don't suck, Do."

I think we're onto something.







5 comments:

  1. So much fun! I love those testimony-strengthening moments in church.

    How cute of that sweet sister to be such a devoted football fan. You must be better women than I.
    Bret said yesterday he was glad I liked books so much because then he can watch all the football he wants while I get absorbed into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post with a little bit of everything.

    I love the idea of putting the storage up there, but I can't help thinking...what if one of those things came loose and fell down on my head?! (Such things have been known to happen to me...)

    ;)

    PS. Having a new bishopric is always such an interesting experience. Glad you got such a confirmation about it! And good for you having the stake patriarch over despite your initial anxieties. Funny about the football game. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for inviting people into your home and for getting outside of your comfort zone. Great start with your "Don't Suck" theme.

    On a side note, we have the 10am church all the time because we don't have to share our building with another ward. I know, we are Spoiled that way!

    Life is good, have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our bishopric was reorganized as well.

    And it's good for me to hear things like Sis. C. wanting the Broncos game on, because I tend to get annoyed with football on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!