Friday, January 6, 2012

Dear Mormon Tabernacle Choir

When I was a youngun'
I thought your music was, well,
too "church-y", "corny", I even put it in the
"elevator music" category.

But, like Paul says,
when I grew up I put away childish-ness.

I love your music.
I love how your music fills my soul
with peace and love.

I got an ipod shuffle for Christmas
and the first cd I wanted on there
was
Love At Home...
because those songs speak to me
like no other songs do.

Your music is in my car--
did you know that
you put whiny children
to sleep?
N' that when grumpy/tired teenagers
get in my car
and hear your music--
even if they don't really like it (yet)
that they calm down and by the time we
pull into the driveway,
they're smiling?
They even talk without a "huff".
It's true.

When I play your cd's in the kitchen early in the morning
breakfast is happier
words are softer
my kid's don't complain about hearing you
as they eat their cheerios or gather their backpacks.
That's important to me because
I want your sweet tones to fill their insides
before leaving the safest place on earth
and heading out into the world
so they feel the difference the Spirit brings.
I want your music to feel like home to them
even when they are far away.
Especially, when they are far away.

Mopping my kitchen floor
Washing the dishes
folding laundry
or answering emails--
the monotony of daily life
is sweeter with you as my background music.

You remind me of heaven.
Thank you,
ALL of You
who bring your very best
who sacrifice in your daily lives
to be a part of something so divine
that I can feel my Savior's love
because of you.
I love you, Mormon Tabernacle Choir.



3 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with your posting. I have Pandora on my iPhone and I know that when I have MTC streaming through my car speakers, my ride is so much more congenial and my mind is clear and peaceful. Consider the Lilies is my favorite album at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @JessieMomma: Consider the Lilies is so beautiful...it nearly always brings a tear to my eye. I love that hymn.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!