Thursday, February 23, 2012

Honda Wants You To "Make The Choice" Between a FAMILY and a CAR



Have you seen these commercials?
Has it struck a nerve in you?
Did the message even get your attention?
Honda, the only foreign automobile company to have a sales increase
at the same time American auto makers were suffering double-digit losses
in a weak US economy and climbing fuel prices--
wants more of your money...and wants you to Make The Choice.
Their marketing campaign right now is directed at young couples
who are at the point in their relationship where growing their family
is the next big decision they're going to make--
and they're very blatantly playing into a juvenile-minded attitude of:
 "Wait. I wanted to go spelunking first. Make a robot. Buy a new car."
The audience they're targeting is the young guy
who just got off the sofa from playing video games--
and it makes the young woman seem too mature and out-of-touch with her spouse,
so much so
that his reaction is one of surprise,
as in a "Whoa! Don't go there yet, I'm not ready."

This commercial angers me.

Families are under attack.
The very idea of families is under attack.

Not only is the nature of what a family consists of--
a marriage between a man and a woman, under attack--
now, we've entered a realm where even including children is seen
as irresponsible or at the very least a less-desired pursuit.

I've been reading "Marriage and Family Relations"
that's put out by the Church,
and just read this by Spencer W. Kimball:
"I have told tens of thousands of young folks that when they marry they should not wait for children until they have finished their schooling and financial desires...They should live together normally and let the children come..."
I noticed that there is no mention of how many children one should have,
but that where possible, children should be welcomed.
Financial "desires" is not the same as financial stability--
but with preparation, sacrifice and prayer,
you can know if you're ready to start a family--
and it shouldn't be based on whether you have a new car,
or have had the opportunity or not, to go on luxurious vacations.
The most precious commodity for having a baby is TIME.
You definitely have to be willing to give a child all the time
you think you can--
and then double that.
Aww go ahead and triple it and you might come close.
It will be the sweetest way you can spend your time though,
I guarantee.

And yes, there are what finance guys call
"Opportunity Costs" to having a family--
but that's not the point I'm trying to make here--
Honda wants you to purposefully delay having a family
based on your selfish temporal desires...
as if bringing a child into this world will crush your every dream.
That makes me nauseas, it's so untrue.
Yes, if you're a selfish, self-absorbed wingnut
having a child is gonna "crunch your style"...
but seriously, if you want a life worthwhile,
getting kids in the mix
is as near to flat-out exuberance as you can get.
Even the greatest athletes, the most wealthy, the most brilliant minds in the world
have also been parents...
and they didn't wait to become well-known to have children.
Nope, they had kids along the way.
N' I don't know about you,
but that says something to me.

And what it says is the answer to Honda's
"Make The Choice" campaign--
The obvious choice is
not
a car, or spelunking, or building a stupid robot in your garage.
The obvious choice is
creating a family.

The moment a car leaves the lot,
it begins to depreciate...
cars are not investments.
That means whatever time, talents or means you use to buy
that brand new car off the lot
is not going to benefit you in the long run.

Which, again, makes the choice
in the
MAKE THE CHOICE campaign all that much easier to answer,
right?

*For more information on car depreciation, go here.

My Favorite Words about the importance of Family is
found in
The Family: A Proclamation to The World.









9 comments:

  1. Momza!
    I am so with you on this post!! Hubs and I were discussing the very same things in that commercial last evening!!
    Disgusting! especially now, when grown kids are no longer leaving the nest..
    that commercial only fuels the choice of immediate gratification for the narcissistic self..
    delaying adulthood and responsibilities of life for as long as possible..
    and don't get me on what constitutes the "marriage" and family definitions..
    I am a traditionalist from the get go!
    and finally.. commercials..
    are you finding them to be rather "stupid" for lack of a better word? we are..and mostly take them as an insult to our intelligence!
    love your posts Lady M!!
    warmest hugs on this snowy day..
    Loui♥
    !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate that commercial. HATE it.

    I hate also to point this out as well--the target group for that car does have kids. Heidi and Sam drive a very similar-sized car.

    And guess what? Car seats fit in it as well as climbing gear. Who knew?
    They may have made a mistake with this ad. Hope it comes back to bite them. Hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so spot on with this. I am sick of the attack on the family from all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never seen that commercial. It's crazy. What the heck?

    "/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I watched the commercial, and now I feel sick. Not only is it an attack on families (and for goodness sakes why can't fathers go spelunking? And who better to build a robot with than your kid?) but it's also an attack on women ... "your needs are less important than my desire for mindless fun, and I can lie about it and string you along" ... AND an attack on men, showing them to be self-indulgent immature idiots.

    But this is just one small symptom of the awfulness growing in our society. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I also add, in response to Loui, I have a non-traditional family, just me and my girl, and still I experience the attacks modern society makes on family life. Love is love, no matter what configuration it takes, and it seems to me love is being seriously devalued by the media and policy shapers these days. Instead they want us all to stay unattached, uninvested, so we can make impulse purchases whenever they want us to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TELL IT!!!
    This commercial rubbed me the wrong way too. My important, all-consuming dream at the moment is to have a family, so when it's mocked and downgraded, it makes me upset too.
    We didn't try to wait until we were financially set. And when our baby is born, we won't be. But we'll be as ready as we can be. Our cars are not brand-new but they're paid for. We have to rent an apartment, but we're not upside-down in a mortgage. We have to live small, frugal, scrimp and save, but I am happy that we do!
    And I'll probably never buy a Honda. At least not in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make. A robot...? Really? I'm glad we didn't buy the Honda. Matt, a dad with big dreams, thought that commercial was disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a little taken aback when I saw this commercial, too. It just made me sad, people don't realize what they're missing without little ones in their lives (no matter how tired that leave us).

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!