Friday, March 23, 2012

The R-word Revolution?

You've probably heard about the newest movement to eradicate the use of
the "R-word" that is currently trending every which way.

The "R-word" being "Retarded".

It's become a "thing" to correct people who use it
much like the "N-word" and the "G-word".

This newest trend of political correctness only got our family's attention
because
we have Dean.
Dean is my special needs son, who, at twenty-six years old
is cognitively between 3 and 5 years old.
His development is truly "retarded" or "delayed".
But you know what?
He can sign the word "retarded"--
and he can say the word "retarded"
and he has been telling his siblings that they're "retarded"
for decades...
and he's usually spot-on when using it to describe one of his own siblings.
In fact, Mr W has said on numerous occassions that Deano is not that much
different than the rest of our yahoos.

The "R-word" is not a bad word in our house--
it's a funny one...
and it isn't offensive to us at all.

There are words that are used habitually in our society
that ARE offensive and for whatever reason,
they don't get attention at all.
The word that offends my senses the very most
is the "F-word".
I cringe when I hear it
while standing in line at a store, a restaurant, a movie theater, etc.
It's used in music lyrics, movie productions, and literature.
Disgusting.
And yet,
there are no posters lining the high school walls
declaring it to be offensive.
I don't get it.

The "B-word" is equally offensive.
Where are the posters for that?
There's even a new TV show with the acronym "GCB"
which stands for "Good Chr*stian B*tches"--
where is the backlash for that?

Where is the movement to remove these words from our vocabulary?

Seriously,
the things that people decide to put their time and money into
bewilders me.

I don't think I have ever once heard the word
"retarded" used in public.
It may be used in middle school or high school--
but I hear other curse words prolifically by young kids
much more often than the "R-word".

It is unbalanced.
We don't blink at the elephants in the room,
but issue a call to arms
for the fruit-fly that is flitting about in the bananas.

It's just silly.
Retarded even.



11 comments:

  1. I haven't ever thought of things this way, but MOMZA! You are so very right. It is a bit backwards, isn't it? There is nothing worse than feeling assaulted by bad language, and yet there is so much tolerance for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I whole heartedly agree and love the ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I feel the same way you do. Our daughter is 5 but developmentally is about 9-12 months old. If I say that she is mentally retarded, I do not mean that in a derogatory way, it is just the truth. If someone were to call her a "retard" in a way that was meant to be mean and derogatory, yes, I would be hurt, but as you say, the "f-" word offends me much more. And I honestly can't tell you when I last heard someone use the word "retarded" in a derogatory way. And I had no idea what GCB stood for! That is definitely much more offensive. Just one more reason we do not have any TV service in our hosue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. Definitely. I'm not a huge advocate of using the "r" word and I've decided not to use it but seriously, this whole new perspective is completely true.
    I hate swearing. It IS disgusting.
    The mark of a-- what was the quote?-- "a feeble mind trying to express themselves."
    Yep. Hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our family once used this word a lot in teasing each other, but I have stopped using it at all because I have friends who are hurt by its use. So I figured, why even go there if it hurts people's feelings?

    I'm glad it doesn't bother you, because I still hear a lot of people using it, especially teenagers.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Retarded" has been veritably outlawed in NZ society for decades now. It has been replaced with Special Needs or Disabled or Otherwise Abled. I remember even as a young child thinking it was bizarre to sneak around the simple truth of a situation. It seemed demeaning to people who are retarded. It seemed like hiding a shame, putting on a fake happy face, rather than just accepting a truth.

    I have noticed that, as we water down our language, some people are pushing the boundaries of acceptability even further. The "c-" word is becoming more used. When one of my favourite authors used it in a novel, I was almost sick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post.
    Great way to put it into perspective.
    There are so many vulgar words that shock the senses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Momza. This was awesome. And I love that Dean calls people retarded. That is funny. And laughing with yourself is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's that old thing again of calling good evil and evil good. I feel as though I am seeing so much more of it these days. You make a very, very good point. And it's good to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am behind in reading blogs and so just read this today, but I had to chime in on it. I love your perspective!! I really had never thought about it that way, but I totally agree with you on the use of vulgar words. I have even seen the "f" word plastered on bumper stickers!! What is up with that? I don't really think we would want to legislate the removal of bad words, but I sure wish people would choose to be more sensitive to others and not use them--in the same way that they choose not to use the other words you mentioned.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well put! I think the whole reason we cannot move forward in this country is because of the very thing you mentioned of walking around the elephant in the room and swatting at the flies (who were drawn by the manure? sp) If we would tackle the real problems and quit insisting on being RIGHT about all the little things we would have such a different society.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!