Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Waldo Canyon Fire in my Beautiful Colorado Springs

My Beautiful Colorado Springs is on fire tonight.
We can see the blaze from our house,
altho it is about three miles away from us,
just on the west side of the highway.

The Waldo Canyon fire started on Saturday afternoon.
We thought it'd stay in the forrested canyon.
We even had been given a projected containment date--
July 16th.
Then, it all changed a little after 4pm today,
when the winds changed
and started a fury that sent the fire up and over the ridge
and into our neighborhoods.
The sky was completely black and red...
unreal.
I have never seen anything like it before.

Landmarks and homes are now embers.
The Air Force Academy is being evacuated as I type this--
and we have been cautioned to get our 72 hour kits together
just in case.

We've been on our knees
and on our toes tonight.

Arianna has been crying in fear of what might be,
so she is sleeping at the foot of our bed.

I've been waiting for the phone call to ask us to house some evacuees
all day long,
never thinking that we might be leaving our own home.

If you're inclined to pray,
we could sure use some rain.


6 comments:

  1. I've thought about your family as I've seen the news reports today. I had hoped you were far enough away to not be concerned. I will definitely keep you in my prayers for comfort and safety. Please keep us all updated if it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momza, my heart goes out to you, your family and all those affected by this terrible fire. :-0

    ..
    .ero
    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness!! I hope so much for your safety, and indeed the safety of everyone there. I saw a photo of the fire before, and was frightened by its beautiful awfulness. Please keep us updated, I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your beloved community. This is so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I heard there was a fire in the Springs, I immediately thought of you and your family. I pray for rain, high humidity, overcast days with no wind. I pray for the families affected. I pray for the firefighters working so hard to battle this blaze. Take care of yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered if this fire was near your home and have been praying for everyone involved ever since I heard about it on the news yesterday.

    I hope they get that blaze under control very soon.

    "/

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!