Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up

I finally finished the custom valance!
It looks pretty sweet.
Of course, I notice the imperfections
and stew over those,
(do you do that?)
thinking of ways to fix them
the next time I go over to L's house--
which will be when I finish making
a matching valance for a kitchen/diningroom window.

I learned so much from the experience.
Really.
It was great for my old brain to try something new.
I'd never made covered buttons before (easy peasy).
Never used lining before. ( a little tricky.)
Never used a mounting board instead of a curtain rod before.
Never made a tailored, buttoned-down, pleated valance before.
And I did all of that.

Pictures to come!

Dani and Mr. Idaho came down on Friday night
for a surprise visit.
Mr. Idaho has one more week of a field session
and then they're off to Houston, Texas for his new job.
I am going to miss their beautiful little family
more than I can say.
Already been pricing flights from Denver to Houston
for my future visits.
As soon as they arrived,
I shoo-ed Dani & her sweetheart out the door for a date,
so that we could hog the babies all we wanted for the evening.
Dani was so excited that she told Brad she was going
"with or without you!"
We may or may not have let Garrett sit on our bed
and watch TV with us until 9:54pm.
With a cookie in his little two-years-old hand.
mwah hah hah...

They all left mid-afternoon Saturday
once the mailman had come
and there wasn't a big, white envelope
in the mailbox.

Last night,
we had company for dinner--
Nana made a Salad Bar for us
and I put a chicken on the rotisserie.
Our company was a young gal who
was recently baptized.
Just a refreshing young woman
that has seen alot of things and done alot of things
in her young life
and is so entirely grateful for her blessings.
Because Nana and Mr W and I are ward missionaries,
we got to teach her the Plan of Salvation
from Preach My Gospel.
Nana led the discussion and we just chimed in
along the way.
I love hearing my children share their testimonies
of the Gospel.
They radiate happiness and light.

A great way to spend a Sunday evening.

And here it is, a new week waiting for tons of adventures!
And believe me,
there is a list!

What was the best thing about your weekend?

8 comments:

  1. I love how you referred to her as your guest for that day. Like it's a common occurrence to have guests over for dinner. I want to be like that someday, especially in a missionary work capacity. Right now we only have a two-seater dining room table. inviting guests over is awkward!

    Best part of my weekend... being in the temple with Bret, Bret's family and his brother's beautiful fiance. Then hanging out with them afterwards and laughing so hard I wore myself completely out!
    Church was fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the scorpion, that's for sure!
    Keep us posted on that mission call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a bunch of young adults over and it was fun, but I think yours sounds even better!

    Can't wait to hear the mission news...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a totally wonderful weekend.
    Good for you for being fabulous ward missionaries! Ya Nana!
    So excited to hear about the white envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of missionary work and big, white envelopes, my not-so-little brother is giving his farewell talk next Sunday. He's going to Lansing, Michigan and reports next Wednesday. There was also a missionary farewell in my ward-you know, those things that were done away with a while back? A little awkward. I'm excited to hear of the location stated inside that big white envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amy: Sounds like your weekend was pretty heavenly! IS there anything better than being in the temple with family? I can't think of it!
    @Jen: Stepping on a scorpion and bravely caring for yourself is Amazing!
    @Sue: You guys are perfect for your callings!
    @Me too!
    @Megan: Congrats to your little brother! I loved missionary farewells and wish we still had them! Wonderful celebrations in my book!
    @Everyone: This is a long wait! We're so ready to know where she's going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see where she is going.

    You have piqued my interest in your curtain making adventures, I can't wait to see some photo's. You are a woman of many talents. You help deliver babies, write like a pro, serve the Lord so willingly, stage homes for sale AND you sew too? It makes me feel a little plain compared to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (((Hugs))) and love to you after reading your most recent post on Google Reader. You don't need to publish this comment, I just wanted you to know that I heard you, I understand, I feel your pain and grief. I wish I knew all the wise and good things to say to make you sigh and smile. But sometimes there are no good words, just acknowledgement. A hole like that can never really be filled, no matter how much wonderful you have in your life. It doesn't mean you'll be forever sad, it just means you have that hole.

    And best wishes to your girl and your whole family on this exciting day!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!