Saturday, July 14, 2012

It's Just A Day of Un-Luck

I need a nap.
A good, long Rip-VanWinkle-kind-of-nap.
Like, 6 months long,
where-did-the-time-go?-nap.

It's a duck and take cover kinda day.
I feel terribly un-lucky.

I looked to the heavens,
over Pikes Peak and wondered if
I have been cursed or something akin
to being cursed
because I am the most un-lucky person
I know.

Mr W took off work Thursday and Friday
and headed east to Cris Dobbins' Boy Scout Camp
in Elbert, Colorado
to help wrangle a load of boy scouts,
Joseph included.

He took my Suburban so he could drive some of them
home this morning
and left his little Hyundai here for me.
I drove it little more than 40 minutes
and the little beast broke down,
right in front of a friend's house.
Is that luck?
I don't know.

SO he came home this morning,
and as he dropped off a scout in our neighborhood,
literally at the end of our street really,
the big honkin' Green Beast dropped dead
in their driveway.
It was kick-started by another neighbor
and faked healing until it was pulled up into
our driveway.
Again, I ask
is that luck?
Pfft.

So two dead cars
in 24 hours.
Nice.

SO, Mr W asks to borrow the 21 yo daughter's car
so he can run and buy (fingers crossed) a new batt'ry
for the Green Beast.
She hands over her keys,
he runs to an auto parts place,
hands the man $107.00
and on the way home
is pulled over by a police-cop, as Bee says,
and given a ticket.
Seems her tags are expired.
That'll be $93.00.
Cha-ching!

The Green Beast just needed some
batt'ry juice
and soon we were on our way
to see a man about a dog,
er, check for signs of life
in the Little Beast aka Hyundai.

Hmmm.
Mr W and my friend's husband
(who used to be Mr W's HT companion and neither could remember the other--
how does that happen?)
anywho,
the two men took a look at the engine,
poked and prodded,
revved and revved
and called the time of death
the tow truck guy.
Now, the neighborhood where the car was parked
has such a bad reputation for towing cars
that don't have community parking stickers on them,
it stinks so bad,
that it's been on the news!
No kidding.
So it was a toss-up,
a real toss of the dice as to the dilemma of whether or not
to leave the car there for the tow truck
or go pick up Joseph from his friend's house
whose parents were ready to go to dinner.
We tossed the die
and decided the day couldn't get worse,
right?

It's just money, I tell myself.
It comes and goes...
why is the going so much more painful
than the getting?
I'll let you know what happens next.

IN the meantime,
my theme song is taken from the
relics of "HEEHAW":
"If it weren't for bad luck,
I'd have no luck at all...
gloom, despair and agony on me."


4 comments:

  1. Oh, you are a lucky, lucky woman indeed. Look at all the blessings in your post! But you know that of course :-) And the rest is only money.

    Sorry about the money though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crappy dappy day. Not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your later post before this one so I know you are fine. I started laughing before I even saw the video because I remember that ridiculous song!! Hope things continue to improve and you figure out what you want to be when you grow up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!