Thursday, August 16, 2012

Father's Blessings & the First Day of School

Today is officially the end of Summer.

I'm upstairs in the loft listening to the children
who are in the diningroom
eating their breakfast--
spoons clanking against the cereal bowls
small chatter that I can't quite make out,
they're fully-dressed and ready to go
an hour before the bus comes.

They're a little bit excited.

Mr Wonderful gave them each a
Father's Blessing
on Monday night.
I listened intently as the blessing was pronounced,
for impressions I might also receive
on my heart and mind
to better help the children
in school, at home, in Life.

It is always a sweet experience
when Dad lays his hands upon the children's heads
and the Holy Ghost whispers the blessings
specific to each child's needs and talents.

I am grateful for these priesthood moments in our home.

It gives the children confidence as they go towards a new school year
that Heavenly Father is aware of them,
reassures them of His love for them,
and the guidance from heaven is theirs
for the asking.
It gives me comfort too of course.

Sending my children out into the world
unaccompanied
is not easy,
in fact, there are moments when
I ponder homeschooling them
for safety reasons alone.
So having Dad give the children blessings
is as much for me sometimes
as it is for them.

The yahoos are ready
and their backpacks are by the door,
filled with clean, new spiral notebooks,
crayola markers with all the caps on them (!),
highlighters and index cards,
and hand sanitizer to boot!
(My generation of kids must've had terribly germy hands.
All we ever used was DIAL soap.)

Fall is in the air this morning,
a lazy haze is rising against the base of Pikes Peak,
and the high temperature today is supposed to top out at
74o.
I am right where I want to be this very moment.
Perfect weather for the first day of school, yeah?






5 comments:

  1. I used to love listening to those back-to-school blessings at the beginning of the school year. I know it made a difference for our kids.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're enjoying the longest summer ever over here. Due to CO's May release and Utah's September back-to-school, our summer is 3 months long this year, and we're loving it! But your description of the first day of school is awfully enticing. Maybe I'm looking forward to September 4 afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine how scary it must feel to send your children to school in America. But look at how many children you have seen safe for so long :-)

    You make me laugh with the hand sanitiser! I'd be the same ... and yet, older generations with their plain soap (or their wiping-hands-a-bit-on-their-pants) were probably much more robust and healthier than this generation because of those germs! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so grateful for priesthood blessings and for a man worthy to administer them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to have the priesthood in your home. I never did as a child, and my kids don't either. If I could go back and change one thing, that would be it. That one thing probably would've changed the outcome of many things...for it seems men who hold the priesthood step up in all aspects of their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!