Friday, August 17, 2012

The Culmination of Efforts

At the beginning of the week,
I told the sweet Momma whom I have been working
as a post-partum doula,
that come Friday
she wouldn't need me anymore.

At that moment,
she was skeptical--
she'd been in bed for several weeks
and just could not fathom feeling good enough
to resume her role as wife and mother.

But I knew she would.

I've been cooking and cleaning,
listening and encouraging.
And she's been responding so positively,
so absolutely ready to take her place again,
that yesterday she and I decided that
today will probably be my last day.
In fact,
the plan is that I'm going over
unless
I get a text from her saying otherwise.

I'm kinda hoping I get the text
for that will mean that my job is finished.
And that is a very good thing.

Another "job" of mine has come to an end as well--
Mr W and I were released last night
as Primary teachers for Arianna's class.
It seems we can't have two callings
in a ward where lots of new people have moved into
and want to serve.
So we've been booted out of Primary
so we can continue on as Ward Missionaries.

I cried at the news.

I don't normally cry when being released from a calling.
Most of the time I know it's coming or have even requested it,
but not this time.
I have LOVED teaching these 10 and 11 year olds
this year.
Perhaps it's because we've been reading the Book of Mormon
together--
that alone is such a sweet experience--
or perhaps it's that I have enjoyed teaching with Mr W
and watching him teach too that has made a difference.
Whatever it is,
it's been one of the most favorite callings I have ever had
and I will miss serving those children.

We received an email and a letter from Nana
this week.
She is loving her time at the MTC;
making new friends,
studying the scriptures,
learning the life of a missionary
and loving it!
She also shared that she when she went to buy
a small hymnal,
the clerk asked if she were going to Germany.
and upon opening the book later,
discovered why the question was asked--
it was a German hymnal.
Um no, she isn't going to Germany.
She didn't say so,
but I hope she got to exchange it for English.

It is so wonderful to hear the joy in her letters home!
To see the rewards and blessings come from
a much-concerted effort to be there
doing what she's doing!

I appreciate the opportunities I have had
to
serve
to
teach
to
love...
that's the sweet-meat of Life.

post-script: just minutes after publishing this I got the text! She doesn't need me!! YAY!

6 comments:

  1. Ain't it grand when everything works out? Not that there won't be struggles again, but sounds like life is good for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful example of service you are.

    So glad that Nana is loving the MTC. I bet she is the favorite there.
    She's going to be a fabulous missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a wonderful job of setting a good example of how to serve for your children, it is quite obvious from your daughter's desire to serve a mission. You never cease to amaze me with your insight and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet you are wonderful ward missionaries. Sorry you had to say good-bye to your class, though!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do have some real sweet meat action going on right now. Life sounds good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the joy in this post! I cried when I was released from nursery about five years ago (now those little kids are getting baptized! Crazy!). And I BALLED when I was released from being a Laurel adviser. I think that had to be my favorite calling. I adored those girls.

    Ah, I wish I was planning a trip to upstate NY! It is seriously one of my favorite places in the US. Then I could get a two-fold treat: being in NY and meeting your missionary. That would feel like meeting a celebrity. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!