Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Beginnings and Coming Arounds


Ever notice the patterns in your life?
How things come and go
and come around again?
It is a common theme in my life
and the longer I live
the more often it happens--
these "karmic" moments--
and I'm not all that surprised anymore.

For instance,
as a surprise for my birthday this year,
the 17 year old, Daisie,
gave me a great gift--
one she now heralds as
"The Best Birthday Present for Mom EVER!"--
she was actually tickled to give it to me.
What was it?
A plane ticket to Houston to spend
Thanksgiving with her sister, Danielle and her family.
It would've been the first Thanksgiving in Texas
without family
and Daisie thought it would be a gift for them 
as much as for me.

SO.
I got to go see those sacred grandsons
and spend time with my girl who is far away
from her hometown and family.

I actually got to go to Church with them too.
And as it turns out,
they meet in the very first LDS meetinghouse
that I ever went to in Houston.
And in the same exact ward.
I was a new convert to the Church
and while I'd not lived with my family in a long time,
and they moved from Denver to Houston
while I was in Provo, Utah at BYU
I'd gotten sick and received a blessing
wherein I was told to go "home" to my parents house.

I did as I was counselled and flew to a home I'd never known.
My folks,
still very much against my new faith,
picked me up at the Houston Intercontinental Airport
and on the way to their house,
mother said,
"I don't think there are Mormons in Texas, Dawn. 
We haven't seen a single sign of one."
Just at that exact moment,
my father pulled up to a four-way stop sign
and stopped.
Then, two young men with white shirts and black name tags
drove their bikes right across the intersection
in front of the car.
I bolted out of the car,
and yelled to them!
"Hey! Elders! Where's the nearest Chapel?"
Elder Tonks and Elder Bringhurst gave me the information
I needed and I got back in the car,
so grateful for that tender mercy.
My folks were astounded to say the very least!

The building that my daughter and her family attends
is the very building that I went to thirty years ago.
As I walked into the chapel,
a memory flashed of me standing up at the podium
bearing my testimony of my love of the Savior
and even sharing the previous days' experience
of nearly running over the two missionaries
who told me where to come to church.
And the feeling came to me that as an 18 year old
new convert,
I never imagined,
no never in my wildest dreams,
that I would come back to that building
with my daughter and her husband and my sacred grandsons.

How cyclical
life is...
there are people there,
people I didn't know long ago,
who have welcomed and tended to my family
in my absence.
I am grateful for that continuum of goodness.
SO many came up to me sharing their fondness for my girl
and her family;
shared how much their ward needed a young couple
with strong testimonies of the gospel
and desires to share in the service that is needed.

Though I only attended that ward for a few months,
there are fun memories that remain
and now new ones to add.

Life gives back to us--
we do reap what we sow.






2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful wonderful story. I too have felt those circles envelop me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when things come full circle. And you're right, they often do.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!