Monday, November 12, 2012

Sewing: Pleated Contrast Fabric Valance

Awhile back, I offered to help a sweet friend, L. decorate her home a little.
First, we decided to paint.
She'd lived in her house for about 14 years,
and hadn't ever painted over the builder's paint.
SO, with some coaxing,
one wall at a time, even,
we painted her living/great room
Kwal's "Toffee".
She wasn't sure how much she wanted to paint--
but as we went along,
she caught my "vision"
and soon her diningroom and entry were painted too.
We also painted her kitchen two shades lighter,
"Arrowroot"...
then it was time to get some curtains up
in both the great room
and the kitchen.
We found some ready-mades at JCPenneys
but had a hard time finding the right style for her sliding door (96")
and a small (39") window in the kitchen.
L. found this style and I agreed to give it a try:
                                          
                                            She picked the fabrics and I learned a new skill:
sewing without a pattern to make custom window treatments.
I read the instructions several times over. Cutting the fabric was the hardest part!
I so didn't want to waste any fabric. I measured once, twice, and more to make sure.
I also wrote on a separate piece of paper each step in my own words,
which actually helped too.
 I didn't take pics of the larger one, 
but here's the smaller one.
This style doesn't use a curtain rod,
but a piece of wood (so much cheaper BTW),
which we mounted the fabric upon.

I actually finished these up in a few hours,
and when L. gets them hung up,
I'll get some more pics of the finished project.

It took longer than I thought it would,
because of my brain stuff,
but L. was super patient and it turned out well
for both of us:
she got her window treatments
and I got some needed "therapy" for my brain.

Now that I'm done with this,
I'm ready to start on our own home.

FYI details:
I did use lining, which is really essential when using light to medium weight fabric on a window.
L. also used a 50% coupon at JoAnn's fabrics and I think her cost for the fabric was less than $70.00.
I also made coordinating covered buttons! Super easy to make and apply.
The black fabric is just broadcloth...cheap but when lined, it's fine.
Also, I like to listen to music when I'm sewing--
Michael Buble was too loud,
but James Taylor was like having a friend sit next to me
while I worked away.
He gets 2 thumbs up!
I love trying new things!

6 comments:

  1. Love the fabric choice. Do you want to come and make some for my three windows in my great room???
    Great job, you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Connie: Hanging out with you would be an absolute joy! Wish I lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're beautiful! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful! And JT is the very best.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you! Congrats, they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!