Monday, May 20, 2013

Down to the Finish Line

I love finish lines...
whether it's a real race-to-the-finish-line
or a metaphorical one,
I'm definitely one who loves to
see the end of a competition.

I'm in a season of finish lines--
aren't many of us
as we let go of another school year?

Fifth child, Dara is graduating high school this week.
Last night,
was the celebration of Seminary graduation.
Seminary, for my friends who are not of our faith,
is a religious training class that all high schoolers
attend beginning in the 9th grade
continuing until the end of their twelfth grade graduation.
I'm pretty sure,
that no matter where you live--
if there's a high school nearby,
there's a class of seminary students.

Some of my kids attended what is called "early morning Seminary"--
which is exactly as it sounds--
they had class beginning around 6am.
I'd be lying if I said it was awesome.
Fact is, it's a sacrifice for anyone whose ever attended,
taught, or driven their teenager there.
Six am is early.
Diana had the good fortune to attend "released time Seminary"
while we lived in Idaho--
it's just another class, considered an elective,
and the classroom is a building just off campus.
Daisie has had both-- early morning and released time.
Early morning for her,
was awful.
She just couldn't get her bum out of bed
many mornings.
Her senior year, however, this school district changed to released-time.
As one new graduate last night shared,
"I'd like to personally thank the person who let us have released time Seminary. 
There is a special place in heaven for you."



So we're done with that
until Joseph goes into high school
in August 2014.

Speaking of Graduations,
after Dara's ceremony on Wednesday,
I won't have get to attend another one
until 2018.
Having attended four yahoo's graduations already,
plus my own,
I can't recall a single word that has ever been spoken
at any of them.
Nor any of the speakers, tbh.
But, I am ready to be finished with high school
for another year.

Also on my "finish-line"
is Sixth grade.
Come this Friday,
I will have officially completed my eighth year
in 6th grade.

Something totally worth celebrating
is that our missionary, Diana,
is halfway through her 18 months.
Her release date is January 12th!!!

I may start breathing again.

So those are my "finish lines"--
what are some of yours?





1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I haven't had any recently. But I think we may be approaching one with Dave's being in the bishopric. We're fast approaching five years.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!