Monday, May 27, 2013

Sunrise Birth Story


I glanced out the window
towards the west
to see the mountain top just barely reflecting
the rising of the sun
Thursday morning.
Headlights zipping along the main streets
were increasing
as another day began.

I had been in the same hospital room
for almost 10 hours at that point,
attending a birth that I thought
going into it the evening before
would be a "short one"--
"I'll be home by midnight", I told my husband
after I'd gotten the call
from Mama M. just before seven p.m. Wednesday.

Her first birth, 
less than three years ago
lasted a mere eight hours...
it was incredibly easy--
better than textbook, even.
Second births,
are naturally quicker--
I adjusted for that and made my guess
that I'd be back home
before I knew it.

And yet,
there I was,
watching the sun come up
on a new day...
this birth had not gone as 
Mama M. had planned either.

Her water began leaking early Wednesday morning,
but it wasn't a gushing leak,
just a bit annoying.
She didn't call me or even her husband--
just kept on with her day
playing with her son,
unpacking her things as they'd just moved into a new house
a week earlier,
meeting the neighbors
and watching her son play.

Not until later in the afternoon
did she tell her husband about her leak,
and at his urging,
she headed to the hospital
to just "see" if she was actually leaking
amniotic fluid.

Yup.
She was there for the duration.
Because she wasn't having any contractions,
and because her water had been leaking
for most of the day,
pitocin was ordered to induce labor.

I arrived at her room
shortly after she'd gotten in there
from triage...
it was nice to see a familiar face,
as her attending Nurse Kellie,
was a childhood friend
of my oldest daughter--
she'd just come on duty at 7pm
and her shift would take us through the night
until 7am.

The first thing I asked Mama M. was when she ate last?
She had been grazing throughout the day,
but not really had a substantial meal--
and it was 7:15pm.

I groaned inside.
No fuel for energy.

And because she was getting hooked up to pitocin,
that meant she'd have to stay either 
in bed
or next to it,
with constant monitoring.
Which translated into very limited
comfort measures--
no showers,
no jacuzzi bath,
no getting up and walking around,
and only clear liquids,
no food.

Mama M. was just barely dilated to 2cm
at admittance,
and not having any contractions (ctx).
Nurse Kellie started the pit drip at 8pm.

Papa J arrived shortly after taking their son
to a sitter's house--
he brought a rolling cooler with him
full of food--
hot wings, pudding, drinks!
As if he were going to a picnic...lol.
Well, he had to keep up his energy too,
right?
Mama M. was hungry--
we gave her the allowed chicken broth,
jello, and apple juice...
not much compared to Papa J's feast,
but that's all she was allowed to have.
Not until 9:35pm did she finally feel a real ctx--
"Ow! Felt that one!"
At 10:30pm Dr. C came and checked her cervix--
still at a 2cm, 55-60% effaced, minus two station.
We had Mama M. on the ball,
standing next to the bed,
swaying/rocking her pelvis,
doing gentle squats--
to open her up.

She continued to drink lots of water
and had many ctx on the toilet--
which is good for laboring.
At One a.m..
Papa J was in the bathroom with her,
they were both laughing,
and all I heard from Mama M was,
"Don't make me laugh!"--
followed by more laughter.

yeah.
We still had a ways to go,
but it was great to hear her laugh.

A little after one,
labor kicked in--
which was great on one hand
bc that meant her body was working
towards delivery,
but on the other hand,
she was really really tired.
We sat her in a rocking chair
while I rubbed eucalyptus lotion
on her legs and feet
for almost an hour.

Mama M is a supremely great "breather"--
slow and steady
slow and steady
inhaaaaaaaaaalllllllle
exhaaaaaaaaaallllllle
blow it all awayyyyyyyyyyyy
over and over and over again...
She was wonderful.
She had some ctx side-lying on the bed 
when it was discovered that there was just a little bit 
of effacement left on her right side.
We put a "peanut" ball between her legs
for a few ctx's and then she stood up
throught a few more,
arms around Papa J's neck,
swaying back and forth,
Papa J's encouraging words in her ears
while I sat aside for a bit
to give them some time to just "BE"
in labor together.

All the while,
Nurse Kellie was in and out checking on Mama M.,
the baby girl handling it all very well.

Fatigue is a miserable companion in labor
and was definitely taking it's toll on this
sweet Mama M.
By 3:20am,
she was having a hard time keeping up with 
the waves of contractions...
Papa J had taken a few naps here and there,
but Mama M and I had ridden each wave together
and I saw exhaustion all over her body.
The decision was made to get some fentanyl
to take the edge off...
Mama M. rested between ctx's
for almost an hour;
then Dr. C came in and I thought for sure,
the news was going to be 
"completion!" because all the signs were there
that the ctx's were the really good ones,
the ones that open the cervix and move the baby down--
but at 4:20am,
she reported only 5cm dilated, 90% effaced, -1/-2 station.

Disheartening news, to say the least.
Granted, Mama M had only been experiencing good ctx's
for 3 hours,
but, man oh man,
at 4:20 in the morning,
with an empty stomach and pain--
that was the last thing Mama M wanted to hear!
I knew she would take that news hard.

Exhausted tears fell....
after a moment to think clearly,
Mama M made the decision to try the fentanyl
once more,
and if it gave her some relief,
she would be okay,
but if not,
an epidural would be the next choice.

By 4:40am
the fentanyl wasn't even touching the ctx waves,
BECAUSE she was in transition,
just as I had thought before,
and we didn't know it!

That's right--
her body kicked into high gear
and those strong ctx coming on
were moving things rapidly--
but because just 20 minutes earlier
the Dr. said she was at a 5--
the fentanyl wasn't touching her pain level,
so she decided to go ahead with the epidural.

The anesthesiologist was in the room by 4:45am--
I went outside while he did his thing--
that's when I noticed the sun coming up
across our little part of the Rocky Mountains.
I was tired--
not as tired as Mama M. to be sure,
but I'd been awake for 24 very busy hours--
the sun coming up 
just signaled to me
that midnight had come and gone.

Within five minutes--
I am not kidding--
Papa J came out of the room
to get me,
because WHOA--
"She's having the baby!"

I jumped up from my seat
and went to Mama M's side--
"I feel like I have to push.", she said.
The epidural hadn't even had time to take effect
and here she was, 
ready to deliver.
Dr. C checked her again,
nodded a "yup",
and the room filled with staff,
preparing the room for the delivery in
tiny moments!

We held her legs for her,
and with just a few small pushes,
a sweet, long-eyelashed-seven-pound-beauty
with tiny piggy toes, 
and curled fingers 
greeted the sunrise.

It's amazing what delivery does--
such immediate, wondrous relief!
Smiles, happy tears, joyful declarations of love,
tender kisses, ooohhhs and ahhhsss--
these are the moments we welcome
after a long night.

On the way to the parking lot,
I looked back to the west--
the cloudy skies
with sunrays streaking through them
earlier,
now revealed a beautiful blue sky morning.

This.
This was a really good way to start a day.


4 comments:

  1. Dawn, I love reading your birth stories. Makes me wish to have someone like you there for me should I ever be granted the joy of pregnancy. Thank you for sharing a wondrous moment today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing . . . never get tired of hearing birthing stories (you'd think I would honestly :)

    So lucky to have you in attendance!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Megan: There are wonderful doulas/midwives all over the world. Whenever you need one, let me know! And just a fyi, I would love to be there with you!

    @Kristin: I love being a doula...getting to give my full focus on one woman, one baby, one birth at a time is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story. So amazing to be a part of that.
    You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!