Monday, January 12, 2009

Weekend Whatevers

The breakfast Saturday went well.
So, after piano lessons, I found a quiet corner and started reading this book. I usually like N. Sparks books. I was excited to begin reading this one. And even though the first few chapters were "ugh" I kept reading...just waiting for it to get better. For a surprise twist or something. That never happened. It was predictable. Every stinkin' bit of it. Don't get me wrong, I love happy endings! But, oh this was so dissappointing. I finished it by the evening and felt like I wasted my time.









Sunday was Church of course. We were running late and didn't get to Church until 5 mins. till it started. That feels late to me. I hate being late. We like to get there about 25-15 minutes earlier than the meeting. That gives us a chance to get to our seats, say our "hellos", get stuff from the library if need be, and then just enjoy the prelude music and focus on why we are there. So, b/c we were late, we missed our favorite seats: the Second row. We've been sitting in the second row for a long long time. With a big family, we take up most of a row...and that also means I can't sit next to every child. So I need help. That help comes from the pulpit. Sitting where the kids can see the speaker clearly, see their emotions as they speak, helps them to feel the spirit.

My philosophy on this is simple: When our family decides to go to say, a movie or a sporting event, we leave to get there early ON PURPOSE so we can get good seats, go buy snacks, meet up with friends, watch the previews, etc., etc.,...Church meetings are more important than that.
And our conscious effort to make it mean more is reflected in our efforts to get there early and prepared.
As a result, we know we have to get up early enough, be prepared the night before (especially since our meetings are at 9am this year!), and leave in plenty of time. So we do. Only yesterday, my 13 yo lost track of time, and we left about 10 minutes later than usual. So we sat in the front row. Yeah, there's no going backwards for me, if I can help it. Front row is fine when Second row is taken.
A painful experience came when I was sitting with my class in Primary, and was handed the latest edition of our Ward's cookbook! At first I checked to see if my submissions were included and correct--then I perused through it and my mouth started watering and I became keenly aware that I had not eaten breakfast! What an awful thing!

Diana wasn't with us because she went to church with Taylow, at our suggestion. She said it was highly entertaining...there was alot of music with a 5 minute sermon and they were done!
Taylow is still planning on her baptism this Saturday, barring any contention with her dad.
Her Dad is coming around too. The missionaries taught her Saturday, at our home, and they promised her that her father will be at her baptism on Saturday. (that's called revelation, right there.) Then last night, Nana, Taylow and I went to witness a baptism. A young man from El Salvador was getting baptized and it was a sweet experience.
We also got Dani & Brad's proofs online and looked at all 400 of them. Twice. Picking out our favorites and laughing at the goofs. I'll post some when I am allowed to, as per the copyright of the photographer.

OH! And we got a call from the Executive Secretary last night. Yup, our family has been asked to speak on "Having Family Home Evening" in 2 weeks. We all laughed, and one of the kids said, "We better make sure we have it over the next two weeks!" smart aleck.


SO, WHAT DID YOU DO OVER THE WEEKEND???

8 comments:

  1. Isn't Monday night football considered FHE? Just wondering... NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if we start with an opening song, a prayer, have a treat, and end with a closing song and prayer, It just might! I'll go check it out on LDS.org and get back to you! Oh, and maybe we could throw in a little fight to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh...that normally does describe my FHE'S, especially the fighting part! Sorry to hear that you wasted your time reading that book. My mom is a N. Sparks fan, so I'm sure that she will listen to your advice.
    I LOVED your analagy about going to church early...such smart logic. I will definitly keep that in mind as we get ready each week (we have 9am also and with four small children...well you do the math). Thanks for your great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this blog. Very newsy--like getting a letter from home. I have been wondering what to blog about but now I think I will just answer your question. Only it will probably have to wait until tomorrow because I have to go prepare a FHE lesson. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Momsa, I must have one of those cookbooks! I love cook books and everyone knows the ward cookbooks are always the best. It is odd because I don't really cook well but I love cookbooks and absolutely love the food network. Oh, by the way, I made up your biscuit recipe last night and they turned out, shocker. Question, should the be quite soft, I made my own buttermilk and that may have been too wet and made them soft. Oh well they still turned out, I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should they be soft? The texture should be soft and flaky in the middle, and the outer should be firm but still moist. Golden brown is what you're looking for. I'll post a picture when I make them Saturday, k? And I'll send you one of the cookbooks if you'll email me your address!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy: Can't wait to read about your FHE lesson. On occassins the only person missing in ours is an Announcer: "Is everybody ready to Rummmmmmbbbblle?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I forgot to mention, I also love Nicholas Sparks and have read The Rescue but I don't really remember anything about it. I would however recommend '3 weeks with my brother' by N Sparks. I enjoyed it.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!