Saturday, January 10, 2009

What's fer brekfest Momza?

Waffles and Ice Cream!

We feed the missionaries on Saturday mornings.
When we get a new one in, I ask him what his favorite thing for breakfast is, and try to make it for him.
Our last new guy was from Samoa...he requested SPAM and EGGS. Which meant I had to go buy SPAM on purpose. He loved it.

Our new guy is here from Idaho--he actually went to the same high school my Nana went to before we moved here, tho they didn't knwo each other.
He requested Waffles & Ice Cream.

He happens to be training a sweet new Elder from Texas...we're having my famous Granny Buttermilk Biscuits and sausage gravy next week.
We've been feedin' the missionaries breakfast for years now...I no longer have to chase the dinner calendar at church, and it just works out better for our family's schedules if we do it this way.

Granny’s Buttermilk Biscuits
Preheat Oven 450o

IN your deep biscuit bowl add 4 cups of Flour. Make a large hole in the center slightly packing sides with back of hand. IN the hole place:
1 ½ TB Baking Powder
1 TB Sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (optional)

Mix dry ingreds w/ fingers stirring in small amounts of flour. MELT ¾ cup CRISCO in small pot. Set aside.
Add 2 1/2 cups BUTTERMILK to hole and stir being sure you miss in all dry ingreds. Add melted Crisco. Mix thoroughly. Stir round & round.
When dough is heavy enough scrape from hands and fingers with back of knife.
Wash & dry hands.
Now sprinkle DRY FLOUR over dough, start kneading. Working from sides folding inwards all the time. Don’t over knead. Make sure your dough has dry flour sprinkled over top.
With floured hands, PINCH off a BIG hand full and ROLL around in your hands until it forms a large biscuit.
PLACE biscuits in LARGE baking pan greased with CRISCO.
Now give a slight push on top with your knuckles.
PLACE biscuits just touching each other.
Brush tops with melted BUTTER..
PLACE in Preheated Oven: 450o. until golden brown.

If you need the Sausage & gravy recipe, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I am not much of a cook but my hubby loves biscuits and sausage gravy, I would love the recipe. Oh, and I wish I lived close enough for waffles and ice cream. I make it out to the 'springs' quite regularly, it is beautiful country out there, no wonder you love it.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it make me a bad cook if I don't have a deep biscuit bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blog! Blog on...:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. RBS: Next time you're in the Springs--esp if it's a Saturday, consider yourself invited for breakfast!
    Amy: Nope! Any ol bowl will do!
    Saraha: We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok first I say YUUUUMY to the waffels and ice cream...second I say BLLLAAAAAH to SPAM! LOL
    What a fun thing to do each week for the missionairies, truely you will be blessed for this wonderful act of service!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!