Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wordful Wednesday Topic: Favorite Genre

When pressed to specify my favorite genre in Books, I took a look on my bookcase that sits next to our computer to see what is my favorite genre? I looked at each shelf to see a common denominator. There's really not one. I like to read about alot of different things...C.S. Lewis' Made For Heaven is a book I have read a few times. It inspires me every time I read it. I am a huge fan of his philosophy, so this little gem is worth reading over and over.



All These Things...I rec'd this book as a gift just after I joined the LDS Church and my family freaked out. It puts our trials in perspective...it put MY trials in perspective. I've gone back and read it a couple of times too. And if you don't know Neal A. Maxwell--you need to. His eloquence is soul-reaching.





I also love to read biographies of real women. Barbara Robinette Moss' "Change Me Into Zeus's Daughter" left an impression on my heart, and tears on some of it's pages. While, Terry Ryan's "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" made me laugh outloud so hard I could barely read the pages, and was a tribute to a woman's ingenuity and devotion to her children.






I also loved this by "Ted L. Nancy" alias for Jerry Seinfeld...hilarious! It is a book of actual letters and responses to those letters, written by Jerry to all kinds of institutions requesting ridiculous things from them; restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, hospitals, you-name-it--he asks for bizarre things, counting on the motto "the customer is always right"--to see if he can get away with it--and the responses are just as funny. We even sat around and read the letters outloud to the kids one night just for laughs. Oh, and look for "More! Letters From a Nut"...we own them both.

I actually learned alot from this book. I feel even more guilty for being fat., but now I know why I shouldn't eat doughnuts from a scientific-physiological viewpoint. And Lincoln. I love Lincoln. When they were talking about discontinuing making pennies, I wrote a letter to the Governor and stated my case about keeping the penny. I am a sap about Lincoln, and I love having little copper pennies with his head on it to remind me of how one person can make such a difference.

Shel Silverstein is a huge family favorite! We have had Family Nights where we divide into teams and each team member takes turns reading outloud their favorite poems to everyone from one of his wonderful books. I love hearing my kids read outloud and this is full of giggles.
So that's a sampling of what's on my bookcase. Neitzsche is not there. Neither is Plato. Or Socrates. Or even Grisham, Stephen King, or Danielle Steele. Just a mish-mash of authors that speak to my plain and simple self.
*Thanks to Cocoa of "Chocolate on My Cranium" for the prompt!
**Note: After reading other's posts on the same subject, I revisited my bookcase and discovered that I am mostly a Non-Fiction reader, with a focus on Biographies! Some of the bios I've read : Lincoln (before Obama started comparing himself to Lincoln), Ronald Reagan, Golda Meier, Gordon B. Hinckley, Marjorie Hinckley, Doris Day (I'm not kidding!), Diana of Wales..and that's just what I can see without my glasses on from here. Oh, and tons of Childbirth/Doula books. So yeah, I decided I am not into Period Fiction, unless it's Jane Austen or humorous, like Bill Bryson. (this p.s. is mostly for me--self-discovery and all.)

11 comments:

  1. C.S. Lewis is a must read for everybody! And I sure love Elder Maxwell's writings, especially when I have time to think about them (and use a dictionary to look up some of the words he uses).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list of different genre books! I love C.S. Lewis books, but I've never heard of this one! I will be adding it to me TBR list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started by looking at my bookshelf too, and couldn't come up with a specific genre either. How funny. You have such a great list! I'm especially intrigued by The Prize Fighter. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your reading suggestions--well except for the diet one. Who needs more guilt? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't narrow my list down! Beat my head against the desk when you mentioned C.S. Lewis...OF COURSE! Loved the Screwtape Letters. And, I laughed and cried through the Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio. What a slice of life. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved "The Prize Winner..." I read it years ago and it still pops into my mind. I'll have to try Zeus's Daughter, and probably Jerry Seinfeld...for my husband of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More suggestions to keep my librarians busy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE reading your responses on Wordfull Wednesdays! So THANK YOU! Thanks also for your list of books, they look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list--and a few I haven't read to add to my list. I've never been to your blog before, but I am cracking up at your header picture! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    I loved your suggestions. A few of them are now on my ever-growing to-read list.
    Now I'm off to read your spring cleaning tips.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your mismash of authors. The "Ted L. Nancy" book sounds like what I need to read right now; something lighthearted.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!