Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ode to Monsieur Kenmore Dryer


"Let me so live that when I die

A tear will come to every eye

And all will bow their heads and sigh

I sorta wish she hadn't died."

Christmas Eve 1999 my dryer died. We hurried over to Sears and got the BIGGEST Capacity dryer they made...I only had 6 children at the time (dontcha love that I said "I ONLY had 6 children at the time" lol--I crack myself up sometimes)...so my Christmas present that year was indeed, a household appliance. But I was happy. Modern appliances have that affect on me.


Well, Monsieur Kenmore suffered a slow death. He had good days and bad days. A mountain of laundry accrued over the last weekend because of the slow demise of Mons. Kenmore that I'd had enough and "called it"...time of death 9:30am, Wednesday. I went to my favorite appliance store here in the Springs, Dupree Appliance. They sell refurbished appliances and have an impeccable reputation for service and prices.


The delivery guys seemed to sense my sadness as they girded up the 'ol boy to the dolly. I looked over at Kenmore and sighed..."thank you my friend. you lived a good useful life. heaven knows you did your best to serve us with all your wires and vents. go in peace."

Then they hauled Kenmore away just like that. He came in the way he went...thru the front door.


The new Kenmore is the identical model, I am not kidding. Hey, I know what I like. So I loaded the new guy up with a duvet cover and sheets and there was joy and rejoicing in the laundry room!

YES! I can hear the low tumbling sound of the new guy..he is so hawt...I love clean laundry, don't you?

6 comments:

  1. I have the exact same large capacity Kenmore! My mom bought it for me in '99 when I only had 3 kids (and was doing loads and loads of cloth diapers). I hope they don't have a 10 year life span...gosh the last thing I can afford is a dryer right now. I love Kenmores though...so here's hopin' mine has more life in it still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always used a Kenmore, too, and they do last forever. But I know what you mean...I always feel a little sad to say good-bye to the old faithful one.

    I'm been married 37 years, and I just got my third last year.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya CAN get weird sometimes, Momza, ya DO know this, right? :-)

    oh well, least ways we're not alone in strangeland.

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would DIE without my washer and dryer. I will be so sad if/when they ever go. But since they're only 3 1/2 years old, they should have more time in them. When my dishwasher dies, however, there will be much celebrating. I HATE that thing-too small, leaves soap debris on everything, I have to towel dry half the stuff that comes out-UGH! Big fat pain! YAY for new appliances!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the birth of your new dryer! And condolences on the loss of Mssr. Kenmore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post to read. I love modern day appliances but truthfully, in my next life I am really hoping for no laundry at all. (Self cleaning clothes, perhaps?) I never seem to be able to stay ahead of all our dirty ones.

    Congrats on your new dryer!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!