Thursday, May 28, 2009

Freezer Jam and Aliens!

Who wants some jam? I did it. I followed the destructions on the pectin stuff and made my own Strawberry goodness freezer jam.

And the hardest part was waiting a half an hour to taste it....that was hard to resist!
Actually, that's not true.There was a small glitch. I made two batches, and after I had already poured the 1st batch into the glass jars, I realized I'd made a mistake in measuring--so I dumped it all back in the bowl and fixed it (Whew!), and though it was a little uneven in 10 jars...it made my lips water and my heart happy. I gave 5 of the jars to teachers at school. And I've tucked the other 4 1/2 jars out in the fridge in the garage...I don't want the kids to know about it just yet. You know why, right? All that yummy goodness is just sitting out there and the yahoos don't even know yet.
mwahhahaha.
**************
In other news: Daisie graduated 8th grade, which meant another ceremony for me. ACK!
The Air Force Academy graduation was yesterday...I took film of it, but since my camera is just a little Nikon CoolPix, the Blue Angels jets look microscopic. Wahh. But!!! It was awesome! another reason I love living here in this awesome country! I get all choked up when I see our Military all dressed up...if it were proper for a civilian to do so--I'd salute every single one of them! I love our women and men who serve our country more than--well, more than pie!
********
Daisie had a housefull of kids last night for a graduation party. One of the kids' Mom stayed and visited. I have to say, it was the best entertainment I've had in a long time right in my own kitchen. This gal should write a book, I am not kidding. She had "scientific evidence" of UFO's, the World wide Government's plot for mass genocide on the US and other countries' citizens, she became a Christian Scientist to avoid being "the victim of complusory vaccinations in the future"( that's a unusual reason to associate with any faith, imo), oh, and she's actually seen Aliens in her own backyard! It was the most entertaining evening I have had in a long time. I listened. And listened. and listened. Where she really lost me as in, "I am so not the right audience for this tale"was when she was telling her UFO story....she was 9 years old, got up at 1 am to go potty(she knew the time! red flag), looked out her bathroom window and saw a grey tent with 5 aliens dressed in silver pantsuits running around her backyard. Up to that point, I'm like, "Meh, whatever." THEN she had to ruin it...she said she didn't tell her parents or wake her brothers because in her 9 year old mind, "What good would that do?"
Ding! Ding! Ding! (red flag!) I have had six 9-year-olds so far...if ANYTHING happens in our house, the very first words out of their mouths is always: "MOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!"--no matter the time, the incident, the consequences.
Am I right? Kids don't think before they act at that age! And seriously, she said she went to bed and in the morning she went outside to look for evidence of the previous night, and found nothing. SHE WENT TO BED thinking there were aliens in her backyard???????? HA!No way.
My kids come into my room if they even THINK there's something amiss in the house...or after a scary movie!! We have to do a regular patrol of Ari's room everynight at bedtime...Mr W has to go to her closet, open it, blow a raspberry, then shut it, then turn on the nightlight, and secure the windows, etc. --going to bed is a ritual around here...and she's sayin' she went to bed after watching aliens for 20 whole minutes!! Twenty minutes is all the time she gave to watching Aliens in her own backyard before deciding she'd had enough and went back to bed. (red flag!)
but hey! it was good clean fun, I'm not gonna lie.
Just as she's leaving, she says, "You know, they could've been angels instead of aliens." Um yeah, sure, okay. Angels wearing silver jumpsuits. Sure. Why not? Who am I to say otherwise?
Hands down the best conversation
I've had in my kitchen in months!!!

5 comments:

  1. Well, at least it wasn't dull! (But it sounds like it wasn't all that sane, either.)

    I have a fairly eccentric friend who believes she was "rebirthed" at the age of 35 or so, at which time she changed her name and quit shaving her legs. (Not sure what the connection was there...) She has some pretty odd stories to tell...about dancing under the moon and "glorying in her nakedness" (I know) ...but it sounds like this lady may have had even her beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it could happpen. . . heeheehee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the crazy's were all in Arizona- guess they moved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....wonder if that jam would be shippable somewhere? Say, Indiana? (Maybe after I send you your batteries!)

    As for the alien lady? She sounds a little far out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dawn, don't look now, but I think there is an alien with strawberry jam on it's face in your back yard. Time: 11:13 am!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!