Friday, May 29, 2009

Don't Make Me Stop the Car!

"Kids, I'm leaving!", I yell throughout the house to any listening ears. "I mean it! I'm going out to the car--if you wanna come, better get out there NOW!"
Loud footsteps are heard coming up from the basement, more coming downstairs from the loft.
"Everybody buckled up?" I ask before pulling out of the driveway.
"YES!" came the shout from the masses. Actually, I don't have a "mass" anymore. I'm down to 4 kids at home. When Nana leaves to go do whatever she is going to do, I will only have 3 children.
I've joked that I could do three children drunk. Three sounds like a vacation after seven.
I digress.

We went to the new library--it actually isn't new to the Springs, but was built after we moved away to Idaho, so it's new to us. We got our new cards, picked out some books and everyone was happy.

Or so I thought.

A slow steady whine drifts up to the driver's seat from the 2nd row. "What's wrong, Bee?" I ask.
More whining. Indistinguishable whining.
"Bee, if you want me to understand you, stop whining and talk to me." I say.
More whining. Something about not getting to go skating today like we talked about.
"Oh, yeah. The passes say we can go anyday. So let's plan next Monday, okay?" Summer break hasn't even been 24 hours, and already we have whining about plans? I'm not ready for this. I need more time to ease into the "I'm-so-bored" phase of summer...this is too soon.
More whining.
"Bee, your whining isn't fair to the rest of us. Stop right now. We shouldn't have to listen to that."
More whining...
"I am going to pull over the car...you can get out and wait until we're done at Sonic." We were on our way to get a limeade slushie during happy hour, before running another errand. Getting a slushy is a "happy thing" there should be happiness all around!
The car is filled with whining that has quickly turned into crying.
I pull the car over into a parking lot. I wish I had a camera at this point because it was getting ridiculous. Ari crawled over the 2nd row to the 3rd row of seating.
Joseph is now wondering if his mother is really going to toss his sister out of the car and says, "Mom, you can't do that! It's against the law! She's my sister!"
I look at him like, "I'm not going to do any of that."
But I said to him, hoping he might persuade her to her senses, "Then tell her to stop whining.
At the same time, I unbuckle my seatbelt and start to open the door because it occurs to me that she is acting so unusual because she was tired...she'd had a sleepover the night before at a friends' house and probably didn't get much sleep. SO I thought I'd go to the back of the car, approach that wailing wahoo, put my arms around her and put her out of her misery.
And then, it happened.
Joseph pleads with her, "Ari, stop whining before we both have to get out!"
She stopped. like mid-whine. Stopped cold.

I looked back in my mirror and said,
"Are you finished?"
Nod.
"Are we ready to go?"
Nod.

Okay then. Like I said, I'd loved to have had a camera--so I could re-play the whole thing, because I have no idea what just happened.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the joys of motherhood. And sleepovers. And tired kids.

    But hey, it shows they can still exercise some control, even when they're really a wreck.

    Good to know.
    heehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, we weren't gonna comment,
    'cept to say hi!

    but, . . . you're DOWN TO four? and summer hasn't even begun to begin?

    gotta hand it to ya, Momza.

    as always,
    thanks for bloggin'

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how they come to each other's defense. I once told Robbie that I was gonna sit him on the sidewalk with a sign that said "Kid for sale." Charlie heard that and said -- "No Mom! We love him even if he is a screamer!"

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!