Thursday, August 13, 2009

The one in which Momza says...

"That's it. I'm ready for the kids to go back to school."

It happens every year at this. exact. time.
Just days before they return to school
I. have. had. it.

The messy countertops in the kitchen.
NO matter how many times I wipe them down.
Half-full cups lining the countertops.
Bread bags lay open in the pantry
Fruit bowl always always empty
'cept for the one lone banana that has "spots"
all over thus "too yucky" to eat.
Milk jugs without caps.
Chips with 3 chips left
in the bag
in the pantry.
Why don't they just throw it out, I wonder?
Eat the last bite,
drink the last drop?

Shoes, shoes, and more shoes by the front door.
Toys on the front porch
on the back porch
Bikes laying on the yard
on the driveway
on their sides in the garage.
Blocking everything.

The front door
open
close
open
close
open
close

The screen door
screeching
screeching
screeching


The garage door


up


down


up


down


up


down





The fridge door
providing air conditioning
to the world
While little eyes search
for something delicious
to magically appear
in the 30 seconds
since it was last
inspected.

Dirty finger prints
on the walls
on the stairwells
bannisters
pantry
fridge
bathroom light-switch plates.
Half-washed hands
dried and smeared-on-dirt
left behind on handtowels
in the guest bathroom.

Televisions left ON
in the family room
the basement
my room
without an audience.

Or worse.
Three TV's ON
CD players ON in each room
Two PC's ON
and the house is full
of "outside" voices and hungry tummies.




The dog hears the fun


and joins in


bark


bark


barking!!


Me too! she yelps


Me too!

I'm done, I say.
Summer has worn me out.
Welcome Early Bedtimes!
Welcome Early Morning Schedule!
Welcome Clean Counters
and Cleared Floors!
Welcome clean house
and quiet hours between
8:30AM - 3:30PM.

Welcome!


p.s. I wrote this on Monday...after Tuesday's events, I must admit, my emotions have somewhat changed. In fact, I'm just grateful to be here.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, I can relate! And I love the way you've expressed yourself. (I also know what you mean about how much difference a day can make in one's feelings of gratitude about things that seemed simply annoying before...)

    Glad all is well...And that school is starting, too!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, have you been spying on my house? It sounds a LOT the same. I'm ready for the schedule to come back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a moment like this today at Sam's club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to laugh--I could just relate all too well. But, I tell ya, once school starts I miss the kids and the noise--but never the mess. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!