Saturday, August 15, 2009

What a Week--car accident, baptism, Elitches, Funeral and my "Dash"

I wanna write about this past week.
It's been a doozy.
I'd like to say I've put it all
into perspective.
But I'm not that smart
and it's still processing.

Last week had all the elements
of a drama/comedy
dramady.

Unexpected Joy
Near-death experience
Thrills and Spills
Food
and lastly
a funeral.

Monday will be forever forgotten.
It's just Saturday
and I can't tell you what happened
on Monday.
It was just a day.

Tuesday served my heart
to me in my hand...
the baptism
and the car accident.

Wednesday was mostly about
recovering and reflecting
on Tuesday.

Thursday was about getting
kids ready for school!!
Yea! for school!
I love teachers!!

Friday was Family Day.
We took the yahoos to
Elitch Gardens in Denver
for the day.
And it was awesome!
Boofus got to ride the water-ride
"Shipwrecked"
No fewer than 20 times.
15 of those were
in a row.
The weather was perfect
and it's the first time
I've been to an amusement park
without my Dean
or a baby-stroller.
What a different experience!!
No kidding.
I kept feeling like I was too
"carefree" or that I'd forgotten
something or someone
as I just walked around without
a diaper bag or a backpack.
The kids are finally old enough
that I could sit on a deck chair
at the waterpark
and just
BE...
I felt spoiled and I loved it.

This morning we fed five missionaries
and I took pics of them
and will post them later.
They're far from home
as they serve us here in
Colorado...
Ohio, Missouri, California,
Minnesota and Nevada
they left the comforts of home
to serve
and we love them for it.

This afternoon Mr W and I
headed up to Aurora, CO
for the funeral service of a mother
to a co-worker of his...
why is it that we go for someone else
and sit there thinking about ourselves?
What would my family have to say about me?
What songs would they sing?
Do I want to be buried in a box?
Or just cremated?
Keep the ashes in a little jar
or spread about in a special place?
Have I lived a life worth talking about
in the first place?
Will my girlfriends really serve Wendy's chili
and Pie
just like I've always said I wanted served?
Would it be appropriate for everyone to go outside
afterwards and have a huge waterballoon fight
and think of me?
Cause I don't want my family to cry
on the day I get to go home.
Cuz who would wipe their tears?

After Tuesday's near-death
fender-bender
I came home from the funeral
and asked my kids
what they'd say at my funeral.
I told them to be honest.
Kent said he'd tell everyone
how much he loved me
blah blah blah
I said...say something REAL!
Okay, then,
he says,
"how about this? you're forgetful
and I can't find anything after you've touched it."
YES! That's the real me!
Nana says, "I'd say how you hide our food when we walk away from it."
(I do! just for fun!)
Daisie says, "I'd just tell 'em how much I love you. And that you're crazy and you love missionairies."
Well, as long as you add the crazy part, then I'm okay with that.

The Pastor at the funeral
said something I've heard only a couple of times
he said
"[Mrs. X] lived between 1928 - 2009...
the dash in the middle was her Life.
The dash is who she is...not the 1928 or the 2009.
It's all in the dash.

I better make the most of my dash, ya think?
This week had alot of dash.
How about you?
Did your week have alot of dash to it too?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I promise, I will serve Wendy's chili and pies.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now all you have to do is make sure your girlfriends outlive you! Otherwise, your plans are gonna go kaput. (I guess you could sign your children on to handle the Wendy's chili and pies...)

    It is kinda fun thinking how you'd like your funeral to be. So far, all I know is that I want this one friend of mine to sing "Be Still My Soul" a capella. And maybe have each one of my kids share a fun memory. As for being cremated or casketed, I haven't quite figured that one out yet. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post!!! I think after we come that close to having something that could of ended being so tragic that we cant help but to reflect on things a bit differently. Attending a funeral I think would naturally make you wonder who people would remember you. And if that "dash" in between the numbers actually had meaning to others...in your case I certainly believe it does...to all those who's lives you touch each and every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think about my own funeral when I attend one. So morbid, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I often think that I should write out things that would be meaningful. Kind of the last little things I want people to remember or know. I hope I'm doing my dash proud.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!