Sunday, February 21, 2010

Behind the Scenes at the Palace

It's been snowing in Colorado Springs
for most of this week
and we still only have about 4 inches total
on the ground.
So I'm not complaining.
Four inches is totally livable.
********
We had our returned missionary here
for 6 days
and he returned to his midwest home
on Thursday,
happy I think that he had time in his former mission
and we enjoyed his visit.
Good people make my life,
and he is always welcomed back.
My mother-instincts reveal already
where he will fit in our
forever-after.
But, I am still Switzerland.
***********
Daisie vacilllates between the rational
 young woman she wants to be
and the child-woman she is at fourteen,
so that every time I see her
it's like meeting someone new at dinner.
She says she thinks she's "bi-polar",
I say she's just a teenager,
she asks how I know the difference.
I don't know.
I just know.
****************
The youngest yahoos begged me
B.e.g.g.e.d
me
to take them to a
school sock-hop...
all week long that's all I heard about
sock hop
sock hop
sock hop
So we dressed them up fifties-style
and went...
and neither of them danced.
They ran around looking for friends,
eating cupcakes
and pizza,
while I stood, holding their coats,
their napkins and leftover treats,
having a deija-vu moment
as I have done this same exact thing
for the past bazillion years
for all of the kids...
I stood there and thought of all the
school parties,
concerts,
science fairs,
and other school functions I've attended
over the years
and decided that I could've gotten an
MBA
with the many hours I've given away
in the corridors of schools.
And then I smiled.
Apparently, I'm a good Mom.
Not a great Mom...
I know that,
but good enough--
the Caboose thanked me
as we walked two blocks to our car
in the snow
after the sock hop was over.
That was worth an MBA.
*****************
We had our Saturday Morning Breakfast
as usual
only there were six missionaries there
instead of the usual two...
six, because Elder Tom L. Perry is in town
and all the missionaries were meeting with him.
So we made enough pancakes to fill a font
and they left with full tummies.
Naming names here in case you might know them:
Elder Wasden from Nampa, Idaho.
Elder Bowman from Maryland.
Elder Panek from California.
Elder Slade from Idaho.
Elder Grilliot from Illinois.
Elder Gemill from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
******************

Mr Wonderful got a promotion.
We prayed he would
and he did.
And now,
I am having "Prayer's Remorse".
He is never home.
Not for dinner.
Not for homework.
Not for Sock hops
or Saturday Morning Breakfast.
When he is home,
he's so outta touch with "home"
that it's like he's a visitor or he's invisible.
This isn't good.
I want a do-over and
 choose not to have him
promoted...
cuz his time is worth more than money
to me.
I miss having a co-parent
on the front-lines.
His absence makes me cranky.
I'm lonely and cranky.
I need to get over myself and my selfishness.
He's working hard for us.
for us.
for us.
I'm spoiled though! He's always been home by dinner
and always home for the weekends.
And now, he's not and I am lost without him.
This stinks on ice.
*********************
So that's all I got.
Tomorrow's the Doctors' visit I've been
yammering about...
I've got a list of what ails me--no kidding,
and we'll see what comes of it.
If there's a magic pill that makes me
savvy, smart, alert and aware,
fashion-forward and a shrewd budgeter--
something like
a "Queen of Everything Pill"
I want it...and I want unlimited refills.

7 comments:

  1. Is is ok that I am happy that you are lonely and cranky? Not feeling alone in feeling alone is nice. My hubby works too many hours and I find myself saying for us over and over in my head late at night sometime.
    Have you read suzane summers book on hormone / supplements. My mom in law finds some of that helpful to what ails her.

    anyway, enjoy your blog as always and I wish you lived in fort collins so you could deliver my baby for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the promotion. Hope the schedule gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time, I am cranky and alone, too. But not now. Now, my kids are fighting over Legos and someone besides me is arbitrating. My dear one is currently sacrificing his time working extra hours out of town in order to finance our 10 month get-completely-out-of-debt-for-our-business plan. We just completed the personal debt phase and it's so satisfying to not owe anyone any money (except for our house) that we're embarking on that with the business, too. It's REALLY hard to remember, sometimes, that I was actually in favor of this option when it became available. Because, seriously. Six days a week? Three of those with an hour's commute each way? I just have to keep teling myself it's temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have been busy! I love how you take care of the missionaries :) My hubby is a work-a-holic, and it is hard when he isn't here! I need him around, I hear ya on the whole, 'his time is worth more than money.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you want to be on the pill huh?!!!! (giggle)

    You have alot going on but great things. I didn't know either of the Idaho Missionaries - darn.

    Hope you see Mr. Wonderful more as he settles into his new job - sometimes that can take awhile but congrats on the promotion.

    14 year olds are crazy. I didn't even know what Bi-polar was when I was a teenager now they all think they have it! I told my daughters can you say Hormones!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use a pill just like that. My memory is the pits these days. Seriously. Really noticeably worse. Anyway, hope all goes well with the doctor.

    As for the promotion, boy I feel ya. I would love it if my husband could take a couple of steps backwards on the career ladder. Between that and the singles ward, I never see him at all...or not much, anyway.

    I'm sure you'll get more used to having him gone, but it's not the kind of thing you really WANT to get used to, right?

    "/

    ReplyDelete
  7. God answered your paryer- even if it isn't providing the outcome you thought it would. I've always said that God doesn't take prayer orders. So instead, I pray for moral support. Guidance, understanding, openness. So when life is going the way I don't want it to go, I lean on Him and trust in Him and believe that there is a purpose for the current difficulty. In fact... I try to thank Him for giving it to me. Because I will learn and grow from it. So maybe there is soemthing in this promotion that is a promotion for you, too? Maybe this is an opportunity for you to learn and grow? Maybe this is your chance to see that you ARE a great mother?

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!