Monday, February 22, 2010

Sounds of Snow Days


Snow.
I love it.
I am a Miami native.
I never even saw snow
until I was 15 years old...
and I decided:

SNOW
is freaking
AMAZING!

It's been snowing here
for five days
in a row.
It's not "official" yet,
but we're waiting
for the "TWO HOUR DELAY"
to turn into a
SNOW DAY--
the kids are still tangled up in their
warm covers
faint smiles on their lips
waiting for the news that
SCHOOL IS CANCELLED.


Daisie came up early to leave
for Seminary--
astonished that it was a two-hour delay,
she bristled
dumped her backpack
dropped her shoes
and proclaimed her new destination
was
back in bed!



We had a really good Sacrament meeting
yesterday.
I mean,
really good...
it was a Missionary Homecoming.
My favorite kind.

The Returning Missionary, *B*,
shared his journey--
not just while on his mission,
but his journey to GET on his mission.
In his words,
he was "blessed to be diagnosed with bi-polar depression"
in high school.
You'd have to know his family
to understand his gratitude...
they can take a pig's ear and turn it into a silk purse.
(just like Mulan!--isn't that just pathetic that a Disney song has implanted itself in my brain and pops out at it's own pleasure?)

ANYWHO,
because of B's diagnosis,
he was told several times
by as many Bishops and Stake Presidents
that his illness and consequent medications
prevented him from serving a Full-time Mission.
Yet, he still had the desire to serve the Lord.
He and the Lord worked things out
in due time.
The Lord called a new Bishop--
who, let me just say,
is hands-down the Most Loving Bishop
on the Planet--
and whom, when he speaks,
speaks as though angels touch his words
before reaching our ears.
We love our Bishop!
He has known this young man
for many years
and between the two of them
and the Lord,
they worked out a
Service Mission plan
together.
He got to go to southern Colorado--
the hometown of his granparents,
Manassa
and work in the Bishop's Storehouse
and alongside the full-time missionaries
while living with his granparents.
For one year.
It fit his needs and his desires perfectly.




Daisie just surfaced,
"Good-bye, Mom."
She's off to school.
Nope it's not a Snow Day,
just a snowy day.


Still, it's a Day. And I'll take it.

12 comments:

  1. So a lot of this is in a language that I don't understand- the language of your LDS culture. And that's ok! But I still wanted to say that I am excited for the new opportunities being presented to your daughter. And that I am very deeply touched that the Bishop saw the potential and truly was the hands and feet of Christ for that young man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I grew up in Mesa, Arizona. I was 24 when I really experienced snow for the first time (more than just a quick day trip to play and go back home, you know) and I decided: I FREAKIN' HATE SNOW.

    I know this is a bad attitude. I know that somehow and somewhere along the way it is VITAL that I change this attitude, but yesterday every time my eyes wandered to the window to see that it was, of course, STILL snowing -I felt very much like bursting into tears -and one of those times I actually did.

    And I just remembered I need to email you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Liz: Okay, so I linked on some of the LDS-words so you can get a better idea of what it all means. I hope that helps!! And thanks for pointing that out to me...I sometimes forget that we do have our own "language"...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Heather: Having lived in AZ for 8 un-holy summers, I could not wait to live in a place where SUMMER is enjoyed!
    You'll see, come summer, you're gonna love Colorado!
    Promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im in Nebraska and well Im tired of the snow!!! Im ready for spring and the earth to come alive again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an amazing missionary story. How wonderful that he was able to serve!

    I grew up in the snow and then moved where there wasn't any, and am now back up in it (for the last 18 years or so). Sometimes I hate it, but mostly I enjoy it and the distinction of seasons up here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a bishop who can get creative in meeting the needs of his congregation. What a neat way to let this young man serve.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We haven't had a snow day around here for years. I really need one.

    We have an amazing bishop right now as well. Doesn't that make all the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like snow, when I don't have to drive in it. But we've had more than I'm used to and I'm ready for spring.

    What ever happened with Nana and the missionary?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love missionary homecomings also - we have three coming up in March and I can hardly wait! I have the opportunity (and blessing really) of occasionally serving alongside a young elder who is disabled in our ward at the Bishops Storehouse. It is a blessing in my life, I always leave uplifted.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE 2 hour delays. Although when I'm expecting a total cancellation, they can be a bummer. I loves the missionary story and how the Lord made it possible for him to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the story of this missionary who was able to serve his mission! What a wonderful Bishop to work with him and make it happen.
    Bi-polar disorder is so debilitating and this is nothing short of a miracle!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!