Friday, February 19, 2010

The One Where I Melt and Wish I Spit-Shined my Inner Beauty

So this blogging thing
started because my memory--
well, it stinks on ice.
As in--
I can't remember stuff
like
what I had for breakfast
by lunch time
or if I even ate breakfast at all.

I have to really try hard
to pull that little card
from my brain rolodex--
hmmmm
breakfast...
breakfast...
think about breakfast foods...
cereal?
toast?
eggs?
yogurt?
Did I eat any of that this morning?
Hmmm, nothing.
Next question:
Am I hungry?

Yeah, it's just so fun being
that forgetful.
I've had some tests run
because my mind's like a window--
so Open there's a breeze blowing thru!
I need to know if I washed my brains out
with the mountains of laundry
I've done over the years.
In fact,
I'm starting more tests next Monday.

Shoot! I'm rambling
-- stick to the point of this post!

Okay, so I started blogging for my kids.
Then for reasons I do not understand a bit,
people started following along!
Every day I am amazed that anyone shows up at all
on my lil Momza's House cyber-doorstep.
Perhaps, I reason, it's like rubber-necking
a garage sale--
just look over and see if there's anything you need--
but then you see it's been picked over by the early birds,
there's nothing but an old lamp, some books,
maybe a toaster out--

so you drive right by to the next garage sale.

Last Sunday at Church,
I was sitting in the foyer
on the sofa,
when a lovely young lady
with soft features,
strawberry-ish blonde hair
and maybe some angel-kisses
on her cheeks,

passed me by

glanced over at me

whereupon I smiled,
then she
stopped
with a curious look
and asked,
"Do you blog?"
I smiled and nodded.

"You're Momza.", she said.

I suddenly felt nekkid.
Exposed and uncomfortable.
Inside I was melted wax.

How much did she know
and
when did she know it?

She introduced herself--
another sister-blogger whose just moved here
from Utah.
I knew who she was
tho I didn't know her face.

We stood and chatted for a moment--
she introduced her sweetheart,
my yahoos came around
and I introduced them
plus the Ninja Baby.

And then she and her angel-kisses walked out the door.

I walked away thinking:
anything in my teeth?
how about my hair? is it all over and messy?
Was I what she expected?
Was my inner-beauty spit-shined that morning?
Oh how I wish I had spit-shined my inner beauty!


The yahoos teased me for the rest of the day...
"Oh Mom, you're so famous.
Can I have your autograph?"

To which,
I thunked them on the head.

So there's this Casual Bloggers Conference
coming up...
And I wanna meet so many women--
women I have come to know thru their bloggin' noggins
and yet,
I think I'd like to be invisible
or wear a doilee on my face like
Lady Gaga
so noone recognizes me
and my un-polished inner beauty.

21 comments:

  1. I absolutely understand exactly how you feel. And yet, I think it's our rough edges that sometimes make us feel like we can love each other so much... even though so few of us have met in person. We really are ALL in this together. I bet, if your inner beauty was radiating half as much as it does through your words and perspective, whoever you met walked away touched, uplifted, and happy for having run into you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA! I had that happen to me at a regional Relief Society meeting last year. A random lady came up to me and asked me if I had a blog.....This is precisely the reason why I haven't told anyone in my ward that I blog....I wonder if I've said anything sacriligious....But your stuff is always wonderful, uplifting, funny and real! So don't worry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked great!

    And I SO got teased too. All the way home. Hubby just doesn't quite understand the whole blogging thing with me.

    Also, lunch would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! You were RECOGNIZED. Umm... of course if it were me, I'd feel exactly the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me smile! Your thoughts sound like mine! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess running into someone from blogdom like that would be a little disconcerting, but lots of fun at the same time. And my kids are always teasing me about the whole blogging thing, too.

    I almost made arrangements to attend the Casual Bloggers Conference, but I couldn't quite swing it. Now that I know you're going, I wish I'd tried a little harder.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to CBC but I'm scared. I don't know any bloggers in real life.

    Will it be jr. high all over again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great story! A big reason why I don't have pictures of myself is because I like the whole mystery ...and I haven't aged that well either so that doesn't help. I know that some bloggers live in my town and I think I know the general area some live and when I'm there shopping or something I always wonder If I'll see somebody. Haven't yet. I could be so off too. Actually I did see somebody at the New Moon showing. I looked over and there she was. Me with my peeps and her with hers. It was strange but exciting too. I didn't say anything and now I'm kicking myself because I feel like we're friends and I missed out on building the friendship. I don't go to peoples blog randomly, I comment because I genuinely like the writers and consider them friends. I care about what they say, interested in their families and learn so much good from them.

    I know exactly who you are talking about. As soon as she posted she was moving to your state I wondered if you and her would meet and become friends if you weren't already... You know what, I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No doily required; you got no worries! Hope the memory testing is helpful to you---that's got to be really frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was so fun to read about. I am with you.
    I started and write my blog for me and as a scrapbook/journal for my family and somewhere along the line I met all these great women and we all follow each other and have become great friends throught the blog.
    It is however, a little intimidating or scary to meet in person. I was able to meet 2 blogging friends in November for the first time and it was super fun. They were just like they are on their blogs.
    Now I want to meet everyone!!
    I hope I run into you one day too Momza :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. People who know you thru a blog have such a nicer opinion than reality, it seems (except YOU are amazing and sweet and smart and wise!). It's like a taste of celebrity and it helps me realize famous people are no big deal, we're all just people.

    Also, people in my ward read my blog ... I have to be very careful when I complain about the neighbors or leadership, etc. I probably ought not anyway tho.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed all those comments and can really say I feel much the same. I do like my name and photo to be on my blog as it keeps me accountable. Sometimes its tempting to share something I wouldn't really - in REAL life share. But then sometimes it limits what I do post as I know many of my neighbors do read my blog. And now I'm rambling on . . . .

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny because I was literally just thinking about this a ton over the past couple of days!

    I think it's awesome that you were recognized and that you've made a new friend. And I would totally go to a blog conference- except for that whole snafu where it costs money to travel. :)

    I've got so many blog friends that I would love to meet face to face- mostly so I could hold on and give huge, long hugs to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! A bright red doily would TOTALLY make you invisible!

    Sometimes I get weirded out when ladies in my ward ask me questions about something that I blogged about. I'm like, oh, you read my blog? Kind of flattered, kind of embarrassed...

    But you should just be flattered. You have an awesome blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure you looked beautiful. And how fun you got to meet her. I seriously believe bloggers are the nicest people around and it is always fun to meet one.

    However, I do think it is a bit hard to have people in your neighborhood and ward reading your blog. I wasn't going to tell anyone except for a few close friends about my blogging but it got out. Our RS president even referred to it once in a RS meeting. That was a bit awkward. Also, you know what my husbands church calling is so you can understand why knowing fellow ward/stake members are reading makes me feel I have to be very careful about what I write. I keep thinking that one day I need to have another blog that is more anonymous so I can write some of the things I really feel! :-)(just venting:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. And it struck me today that I forgot to say what I had first thought when I started reading this post. I have memory problems too. See- I even forgot from start to finish of this post that I wanted to tell you that you aren't alone in the memory department.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going too, and am totally freaked out. I know no one in real life and have nightmares of sitting all alone the entire time watching all these people I sort of recognize completely not see/know/care about me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Everyone: I'll be the one at Conference with a doily...can't miss me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First, praying that the test.....how does one pray for test? That they comeback normal, that they reveal what is causing the problem? Can I ask you, do you take any cholesterol lowering drugs? That could be the source of your forgetfulness. Just saying. If you do and want to know more, let me know. In the meantime, I really am praying for you.

    I think you shine pretty well.

    Please, Lady Gaga? I really much prefer the Zorro look.....even Miss Piggy would rate higher on the list. LOL

    Thank you for following me! I so enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Prairiemaid: Thank you for your prayers. much MUCH appreciated. Zorro--I think I can do "Zorro"...but I don't have any zorro masks...I do have some doily's though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Charlotte, if I see you, I'll tackle you to the ground and super-glue myself to your elbow! What?--too much? lol Okay, then.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!