Thursday, February 18, 2010

Being Neutral




The past few days have felt much like
the season around me...
Colorado Winters
can feel a bit schizophrenic--
you can wake up to bright sunny blue skies
and by the days' end
have a snow-covered world--
or the very opposite
snow-colored skies
revealing a toss-your-coat-away
warm sunny day.
You just never know
what's on the horizon
so you have to be prepared
for anything.

It's just been a busy week.

We've had a visitor here since last weekend:
a former missionary who served here
and left the area last summer...
he went home in December
and has been here
"exploring options"
with Nana.

We loved him with his black nametag--
everyone in the whole area did--
he's just one of those personable persons--
like a kindness-magnet
that attracts so much good wherever he goes.
We enjoyed him so much,
that that friendship continued
after he went home.
Then he called one night,
and said,
"I know you have that rule,
but--"
he asked if he might pursue
the 19 year old crankmeister female in our house,
I had to think about it...
Our rule is this:

"If a young man comes 
thru the front door 
with a black
nametag,
he will not come back as a date."

We created that rule to protect
the missionaries
and our daughters.
It's important that as we serve with the
missionaries in our area,
that we help them stay focused on the work.


And that's how it's always been.
Until now.
(breathe...breathe...)
But, I have a confession to make--
I'm not surprised about this one.
Somewhere in the back of my mind,
I thought we'd see him again.

I have no clue how this is all gonna play out,
but I just had a feeling
we'd see him at our door again.

Maybe that was Heavenly Father's way
of preparing my mindset
so I wouldn't freak out.
I don't know.
Seems likely.

I figured his six day visit would pass quickly
and six days would be enough
to fan a fire
or blow out a flame.

He's going home today.
I'll keep you posted.
It's too early to tell.


As I observed this
"exploring options" thing--
between the two of them,
my effort has been that
of Switzerland
I am neutral.
I cannot lean one way
or another.
I do not weigh-in freely,
nor have I been invited by my Nana
to weigh-in.








I am Switzerland. 
They say it's gonna snow today.
I better grab my sunblock.
And maybe my gloves.
And sunglasses.

12 comments:

  1. I am so not ready for that. It freaks me out when the Young Men in the ward do double takes at my daughter. And it only gets worse?!?

    Good luck with surviving the "exploring." I am already practicing my Switzerland talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you are such a wise mama. We had something similar happen with one of our daughters. Unfortuantely the timing wasn't right, but that was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good rule. But it's also a good sign that, knowing the rule, he still had the courage to ask first. I'm betting he prayed about it plenty beforehand.

    The right answers will show themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's always good to be Switzerland when it comes to adult children's relationships.

    Much safer!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neutral huh? I wonder how long that will last. I don't know, maybe you aren't like me and really will stay neutral, maybe, but knowing the great mom that you are, I doubt it!
    But in the meantime as long as you are Switzerland, enjoy some chocolate, aren't they known for it?
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting, very interesting....keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Momza, you need to have a talk with my Momza. My baby brother served a mission in Brazil. He briefly met this girl down there who just somehow started writing to my mom. He didn't even serve in her area -- hardly knew her. But for nearly two years, she corresponded with my mom several times a week through e-mail. After he had been home for a few months, he became the one e-mailing her every day.

    Their first baby is due in September. And they get all kinds of looks when people find out my little bro served in her mission -- but there was no funny business. Just two good, honest kids who didn't realize why they were supposed to meet until the right season of their lives arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good rule. But even the best rules can be bent for the right reasons, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it is a good idea to be Switzerland!

    So did your daughter show any interest in him?

    We need details!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, well, well. That little Nana of yours sure seems to have a lot of suitors. Isn't it great she has so many options. I am sure she will know when the right man comes along--whether it is this one or another one close on his heels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Everyone--Details: They had alot of fun together...I thought they hit it off really well. He is returning in a couple of months.
    So we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter dated a young man from our ward for two years, very hard to stay neutral, especially since I'm very good friends with his mom. But it keeps me seeing the other perspective . . .

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!