Wednesday, April 14, 2010

And Now Back To Our Regularly Scheduled Program aka "Momza's Home"

Well, after working and working on staging someone else's house,
for the past several days,
I had to come home to what used to look alot like my own house.

I recognized the house from the street,
pulled up into the driveway
parked on the Left side like I always do
and walked up to the front door
that I am sure is mine.

But that's where things got fuzzy.
My front room is hidden...
I cannot see my sage green couch
or my floral wingback
or the piano bench
that is usually in plain sight.

No,
what I see are piles of things
clothing
book bags
papers
shoes
and other non-front-room items
strewn about
as though there is no Mother
living in this house.

I glance at the dining table
my sacred dining table--
I recognize that because it's always covered
in books
toys
a cup
a bowl
a leftover cheetos bag.
This is my house!

My eyes follow the kitchen counter
to the pantry door
wide-open like always.
I hate that.
They know how to open it
why can't they close it???
Why??
Someone made toast,
it looks like--
but didn't put the bread away
or the honey...
which is sticky and dripped on the toaster handle.
An amateur toaster-er was here.

A half-empty yogurt container,
spoon still in it
sits alone on the island--
waiting to be... what?--
eaten?
adopted?
tossed-out?
put away for another day?

I have to leave the kitchen--
"just walk away",
my survivor voice pipes in--
"just walk away."

But before I do,
I take out the spoon from the yogurt
toss it in the sink
trash the yogurt
and like a magnetic force,
my hands scan over the countertops for
random wrappers and bits of trash
and my foot taps the garbage can lever
while the collected bits are tossed into it.

I walk around the kitchen
gathering empty cups
the honey-spoon
and cheetos bowl
into the sink.
I'll have a helper come in
and wash them later.

My attention is drawn to the familyroom--
iCarly is on....
playing to an audience of
Zero.
Noone's even watching.
Is there a word for what I'm feeling??
What a waste--
energy
noise--
I dunno,
but I have to pilfer thru three blankets
on the sofa and loveseat
to find the remote
so I can turn it off.
Which triggers other thoughts--
why can't they watch TV without a blanket?
and
why can't they put away blankets once they're thru with them??
The blanket cabinet is literally 2 feet away from the TV!


Where are the motherless-culprits
who've pillaged my home
eaten my food
left their messes for unknown servants
to clean up afterwards??

I use my "mother voice"--
"Whose Home?" I yell.
Then I hear a small cheerful voice floating downstairs from the loft--
"MOMZA! You're Home!"
I glance up to see where it's coming from
and feel two arms reach around my middle
and squeeze me in...

I'm home.
To Cheetos on the diningtable,
abandoned yogurt,
Disney TV,
a sticky toaster,
laundry in the Visiting Teaching room,
and
little arms that missed me.

There's a small price I pay
when I invest my energy into other
non-Mom-related passions.
Whether it's home staging,
or midwifery,
my absence in the home
is nearly always felt.
The anal-retentiveness of my youth
used to hold me hostage
to my Mom-role.
I didn't want to see what the house looked like
when I was absent from it.
But I grew up.
I had to.
I'm more than a Mother-
and my other interests and talents
make me a happier Momza.
So if the price I pay for that
is a sticky toaster
and half-eaten yogurt
or a few odds and ends strewn about,
it's worth the cost.

It's good to be back...
even if there's no cabana boy and lemonade waiting.

12 comments:

  1. Love this one! And I am reminded of its truth quite viscerally every time my brood comes home for holidays...deserted blankets, Cheeto bags, and all.

    The only thing I truly love (without reservation!) about my empty nest is how predictably clean it is. But I'm not sure it's worth the trade-off. Those "two arms reaching around your middle" are pretty darned sweet.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say fight for a cabana boy!!!!

    Ya, I had little pillagers like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still thinking you might have walked into my house. Disconnecting (in my mind) my worth from the spotlessness of my house was one of the best thing I ever did! Of course, my kitchen has never been quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The urge to clean is powerful. I, too, have to tell myself to just stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BREATHE!!!!!
    That's right...now keep breathing.

    Welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written ! I'm almost hankering for some messes and mischief around here after reading that post...ALMOST ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds all too familiar. Painfully and joyfully familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!!! Oh my gosh!! You totally described my house, the way it appears nearly every afternoon after being home for only 15 -20 minutes.

    I love your descriptions. I could totally see the whole thing happening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes, that's what my house looked like when I got home from Utah. And everyone was still asleep. (it was 9:00 am in the morning)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading this because after I found out you were a home stager I thought you must have perfection at home - Your house sounds like mine and I love you for that!! (wink!)

    I might want to work on a Cabana boy - ha ha - Does that mean I need a pool?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've missed you too! I'm behind on my blog reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Amy: Welcome back. You've been missed!
    @Cherie: I wish. Nope, I'm just like everyone else. I think a pool is negotiable. Let me know how it works out!
    @Marilyn: I hope at least, that everyone pitched in to help restore your order.
    @Wendy: Sad, isn't it? lol just a little.
    @SeeMom: I know, hunh?
    @Nonna: Don't wish for that! That's what grandkids are for!
    @Tammy: LOL...I am breathing...almost hyperventilating!
    @Nancy: Do you listen? lol
    @Charlotte: Hey, do what ya gotta do to save your sanity!
    @Garden: Can I say that I love that you had pillagers too??
    @Sue: It gives me something to look forward to...sitting something down and knowing it won't move until I move it. AHHHHHH....the dream.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!