Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Home Staging Basics

This is Us. Cute, hunh?
Okay, so you asked, and I'll answer.

What I do as a Home Stager:

First, I do a Curb to Fence Inventory--starting from the street, I do a curb-appeal check. How does the house look from across the street? What could be done to make it show better?  Lawn, Front door, numbers on the house, stains on the driveway?  How does it all look?  I write it down. Take a picture.

Then, inside the house--take a tour of the house. Look for the BEST selling features that we can work with--take pictures. I make notes of each room--what can stay, what needs to go.
Since the GOAL is to Sell the house and MOVE--we have our clients pack up ALL non-essentials and thin-out every closet, cabinet, drawer, space.
I want a clean canvas, so-to-speak.  It's easier to add things back in once that is done.
Finally, I walk out back and do the same thing.  Most people need to trim bushes, plant flowers, add fresh mulch, etc.  And we plan on how to stage the patios/decks.

Most folks have more than enough "stuff" in their home to stage it.  I try to use as much of their own things as possible, to save on costs.  Which they always appreciate. But, all those teeny-tiny knick-knacks you got from Hawaii or Acapulco or your mission or college years ago, 99% of those, I don't need and won't use. I take nice, up-to-date items from one room to another; rearrange furniture, just get really creative with what we're trying to accomplish.  But I also like to keep it as simple as possible.  The family still has to live there, right? 

The items most people have to buy? 
*Lamps.  Every room should ideally have 5 sources of light, says my partner, Kelly. 
* Healthy Plants...we all have this "nurturing bug" to keep barely living plants around.  But when staging a house, that won't do.  Toss 'em out and get new ones! Full, lush, healthy living plants or nice Dust-free artificial ones.

* New bed linens for the Master suite.  Two rooms sell a house: The kitchen and the Master Suite.
That tie-quilt you've been using since your honeymoon or first child was born, is going to be put away for safe-keeping.  Go out and purchase new bedding.  Choose something romantic, soothing, luxurious.  You can find great deals at Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or even KingLinen.com. 
*Pillows---lots of fluffy new pillows on every bed.  Those pancake ones can be kept, hidden away for sleeping if you want, but to SHOW a house, we want pillows that look fresh and fluffy.
*Towels.  If you don't have nice towels in complimentary colors without holes or they're threadbare, invest in some new, big ones.

And that's really it for the basics.  Now if the home is older, your appliances may need to be updated, or light fixtures, carpet, paint, etc. also updated.  But that's another post.

We have a light inventory of art, candles, lamps, froo-froo accessories that we can bring in to tie stuff together, and we keep track of it and it's returned to us once the house sells.

How did I get into this?
You know that friend that always came to your house and rearranged your bedroom for fun?  That was me!
I've always enjoyed that...and so I determined to learn more.
Using techiniques I learned from a designer, online classes, and my own creativity & results from selling our own homes in less than 2 weeks; I know what works and developed my own take on staging.  I started my own biz in Idaho and when we moved back to Colorado, I knew Kelly had wonderful experience working as an interior designer's store manager and designer, so I asked her if she'd join me.  We play really well off of each other, and almost read one another's minds when it comes to staging.  I love having her knowledge and style alongside mine.  Kelly also works on the Parade of Homes here in Colorado Springs and decorates  Christmas trees every year in Salt Lake City's "Festival of Trees". She is awesome!

Money stuff:  We charge a flat-fee which includes the initial consult, Before and After Pics, and two hours each of hands-on staging. (that's 4 man-hours.) Time after that is an hourly fee.  We'll work until it's done and the customer is pleased.

Living in a Staged Home is easier!  Why? Because at least half of the house is packed up and ready to go!
The clutter is gone. 
I leave a check-list for the Sellers to go over before showings, so they know they can be ready to show their house in a moment's notice. 


Any other questions?

7 comments:

  1. Dawn, that was interesting! I didn't realize you did staging for individuals. Rather I thought maybe you did this for builders (their show homes) or something.

    Thanks for sharing your information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a superfun job-albeit HARD work. How satisfying to see the end results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure we'll ever sell our home, but if we did, I would love to have you stage it! In fact, I think I'd like to have you stage it even if we don't sell.

    For us!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEah, I need to get my home in the process of "staging". Because in two years we're hoping to be out of here, and the less "JUNK" I have between now and then the better. These are great ideas. My only problem, is that I have an older house, and one where heater vents are in the floor, and outlets are nearly non-existent so I'm limited as to what I can do. Maybe I'll have to start doing some major research.

    ANd get my house looking nice. I really need the help of a professional interior designer, but the $$ doesn't exist for it. So thus, I am left to rely on my poor judgments, and lack of creative taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One question: when are you coming to Indiana?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amy: Hmmm No plans for Indiana, but I ain't dead yet, so who knows?
    @Wendy: To get good ideas on decorating, thumb thru magazines or go to your local library and pick up some decorating books, or just YOUTUBE it...you'll get some great ideas you can use on any budget! Promise Promise
    @Sue: Would love to have a reason to go to CA...that's as good as any I can think of!
    @Marilyn: It's not as hard as it looks--the homeowners do most of the clearing out. And I do enjoy it!
    @Cheryl: I've worked with both, realtors and homeowners...whoever has the cash is my deal maker! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas. I always cringe at my house's curb "problem", what with all the bikes, scooters, basketballs and crap that is always adorning the yard. Plus my husband's workshop is in the garage (it's a REAL workshop, in other words it's for his real job as a radiant heating contractor) so we can't park cars or ANYTHING in there. Yikes! And btw I like your picture. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!