Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cheering From the Bleachers

I'm here in the stands.
Sitting, uncomfortably.
While the relief I seek
would come
if I stood up
and
stretched my "mother muscles",
the player in my line of sight
is not in search of
coaching right now.

So I sit
with the whole playing field
in sight--
and I watch
my little player
with great interest.

Fighting the urge
to warn of the approaching
dangers
that our untamed habits
cause us to suffer.
Stifling the voice in the watchtower
that cautions:
"O be wise my child. Be wise."

No, I am an eternal cheerleader--
GO!
FIGHT!
WIN!
I am not on the field,
the game is not mine to win,
though I have high stakes
in the outcome
it's not my battle.
My voice is on the sidelines
on the cold hard bleachers--
I've had my turn to play this game.
I made my own mistakes
and counted the consequences
as a failure or success.

I've sat here before,
uncomfortable in my seat,
waiting to be asked for my
best advice.
Waiting is the hardest thing
when time is in the mix,
don't you think?

I want to take the player
by the hand
and lead her to the goal--
not stop and ask what she thinks
or how she feels about it--
just take her to the goal line
and cement her in it.

I know I'd certainly sleep better
if her feet were firmly cemented
into the goal line.
Dang it tho,
Free Agency
has its own price
and it ain't
Free
at all.

So here I sit in the bleachers,
cheering
"Go! Fight! Win!"
and hoping the player
hears my voice
above all the noise
in the whole stadium.

12 comments:

  1. You've created the scene wonderfully! It's so hard to stay in the bleachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, how I know the feeling!! I have a daughter who is struggling with so many things right now (not spiritually, just life stuff) and it is so hard to sit back and have to watch. I wish I could make everything better, but I can't. So I just listen to what she will share and cheer her on. It is so hard sometimes though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agency........ya, that's one of the painful blessings we get to "enjoy" isn't it?
    Isn't that why we came here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, do I know this one. In fact, I wrote a poem about it a few years ago. Maybe it will resonate with you during this time.

    A PARENT'S REVERIE
    ©1997 by Susan Noyes Anderson, At the End of Your Rope, There’s Hope, Deseret Book

    “Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord?
    or who shall stand in His holy place?” (Psalms 24:3).

    Sometimes when I am quite alone and still,
    The Spirit speaks and whispers words of truth:
    That I am not the master of your youth,
    And was not called to bend you to my will.

    I was not called to bend you to my will,
    Nor would He have me bind you to His own.
    His yoke is one that you must bear alone;
    I cannot thirst for you, nor drink your fill.

    I cannot thirst for you, nor drink your fill,
    Though living water springs forth pure and sweet;
    Yet I can but direct your wand’ring feet,
    For you must tread the path and climb the hill.

    For you must tread the path and climb the hill
    That leads you back into His warm embrace.
    I see you standing in His holy place,
    Sometimes when I am quite alone, and still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome analogy! I think you should link this up at Mrs. 4444's Saturday Sampling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, Thank you for an interesting spin on one of the MOST daunting tasks of motherhood! And thank you Sue for the warm understand poetry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. I write like that too and I love analogies! You hit the nail right on the head with this one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sometimes very hard to be a mother watching your children. You hit the nail on the head all we can do is CHEER them on to victory and never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks SO much for this post and all the comments. I SO need this right now. I'm having issues with my youngest and I'm kinda distraught-kinda thinking about removing the door-ha ha. But it's nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Marilyn: You and Me both! Hang in there!
    @Cherie: The bleachers are full of Moms--we are eternal cheerleaders! Keep out your pom-poms!
    @PattyAnn: Thanks so much...it was the image that came to mind.
    @Lisalulu: lol "interesting spin"...in the name of survival!
    @Amy: I will go find her! thanks!
    @Sue: Lovely poem...from a wise momma. Thanks for sharing!
    @Tauna: Sometimes I wanna take their Free Agency and hide it under a rock until their 30.
    @Lisa: thank you.
    @Cocoa: I thought if I could say it poetically, it could help my attitude...and it did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from MMB.

    I'm one of the Moms in the bleachers cheering all our children on, especially mine. I like how you wrote about this.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!