Saturday, August 28, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love...an Avatar Experience


I'm not a huge movie-goer.
I think the last one I went to was
uh
uh
hmmmm
oh yeah,
"Diary of a Wimpy Kid".

That's not to say
I don't enjoy movies,
but rather,
I wait until they're on DVD
at Red Box to see 'em.

But there's this movie out
and it has my full attention.
fully.
Eat, Pray, Love.
I wanted to see it
even before I knew Julia Roberts
was in it.
I know, right?
And now that she's in it,
well, that made the decision for me--
I WILL see this movie
in the theater--
and I will spend twenty-six dollars for
popcorn and a Pepsi.

The whole idea that a woman
truly dropped everything
for HERSELF--
must touch a place in the rest of the
female population
like it does me--
in my head
I am yearning and screaming:
YESSSSSSSSSSS Oh YESSSSSSSS!!!
To go and do and be--
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!-- a thousand times yes!

There is this wonderment inside
that speaks curiously,
how come I never thought of that?--
followed by
dang it.

So I will live vicariously for two hours--
free of dishes,
free of carpools,
free of leftovers in the fridge that have turned
all squishy and brown,
free of my referee duties with the yahoos
free of the six cheetos in the back of my suburban
that have been there for two weeks...
and I will travel to exotic places,
and fall in love with life again
with Julia Roberts as my Avatar.
I will suck the nectar out of life
and then...

and then!--
the reality of MY Choices
will slap me upside the head
bringing me back to my body,
sounding something like a
Homer Simpson alarm clock--
DOH! DOH! DOH!--
and I'll check the backseat for those
six cheetos to be sure I'm really back
in my own body...
dang it.

I want to invite every woman I know
to go with me...
so we can all enjoy the fantasy together
and at the end of it share our camaraderie
with
"That looks nice and all, 
but I'm going home to a house full of my people
who love me n'  that's what really counts, right?
Right?"



What about You?
Are you In?
Are you going to see it?
Have you read the book?
I haven't--everytime I read "the book" before seeing the movie,
it messes with my head...ya know, parts are missing or rewritten to my dismay.
So I'm going with a totally clean slate.
If you live in the Springs, let me know!

10 comments:

  1. we have a down and dirty rule in our house that any movie made from a book requires that the book be read first.

    I read this book a long time ago after all the initial hype...

    I shouldn't tell you how much I hated it. Really truly hated it. Yes, it was well written. Yes, it is a nice premise. Hmmm... the part I hated will mess up your enjoyment of the movie... I'll tell you later. Maybe in the movie they'll turn it into a better life lesson than it was in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!
    I am a Julia fan..
    this may just be her very best!!
    Yep.. gonna go!
    have a beautiful day!!
    hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. @T: Dear T--if this movie is going to crush my Avatar experience, tell me NOW! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow T...for someone that didn't want to tell her, you certainly told her, whew. And as for you Momza, you go, and see, and do, and then form your own opinion. I don't live in the Springs but I will be there next week for a few days on business. I will try to get a minute to call and chat. And I will see this movie at the 3 dollar place where no refreshments are over 2 dollars but not with Mr Darcy, looks like too much of a chic flick for him.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you lived in Indiana. You could go with me and my friends tonight. I can't wait for a girl night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the book with my book club. Hated it. I was so disturbed that a woman could wake up in the middle of the night and decide that she was done. I was bothered that she could just pick up and leave her life and her family behind. While I think all moms are better off if they squish in some time to decompress. My family, soccer, swim, homework, friends included, are my who I am. I am proud of them and my "me" time is enhanced by cheering them on. (Not that I don't threaten the person who dares yell through the door when I am taking a bubble bath).
    Julia Roberts is wonderful. She does tempt me. But, I'm not going to fund a movie that made me feel so terrible when I read the book. Now Beezus and Ramona? I might go again :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talked me into it - I'm going to gather the girls . . . let me know what you think in hindsight.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't read the book. My rule is to usually read the book before I see a movie but I broke that rule - Oh my!
    Anyway, I did see the movie and I didn't love it. It wasn't horrible or anything.
    I'm not sure I agreed with what was going on in the movie; her thought processes were some how "off" to my reality - it's an interesting concept though.
    I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to go with T and Sally on this one. Definitely far less than impressed with the book. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going today to see this. Will let you know what I think!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!