Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Winter Awakening

It was BRRRR-freaking cold yesterday morning,
so I thought I'd take the hound for a walk.

The walk was really for me.
Things have been so busy,
as you know with
Dean and Dani and Nana ( medical stuff with her)
it was just time to get outside and walk
and breathe.

 Of course, I hit the trail behind our neighborhood.

 Since everyone else had the common sense
to stay indoors in the freezing temps,
Kota and I were the only ones there.
Which was great
so I could let her off the leash
and she ran around like only a lab can do...
zig-zagging,
hopping over brush
tearing up the trail
her tail wagging in delight and exhilaration!

I noticed every little thing...
like the shadows of weeds in the sparkly snow...
 the cactus (yucca?) still green
waiting for summer, like me.
 Kota noticed every.thing.too.


 And there's the little pond that my yahoos spend most days in the summer.
Barren, frozen, snow-covered.
The only sign of life
was the beaver's lodge on the north end.



 Ahhhh....those mountains.
I love those mountains.
You can't see Pikes Peak in this shot...
because it was hidden in the clouds.
But I feel better just knowing it's there
still the same.
Which reminds me how I feel about my faith
in Heaven and Heavenly things
and my Heavenly Father.
 I haven't seen His face,
but I've seen His miracles....
just like Hilary Weeks' sings about...
And when I turned to come home,
I came to this fork in the way,
reminding me
that I always have choices in Life,
and again,
feeling grateful that I know the way
Home.

Where do you go when you need to breathe?

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and thoughts Momza. It looks like it was a serene moment in chaos. I just love labs. They are the sweetest dogs.

    That will be sad to move away from such beautiful surroundings. Where are you going?

    Hope your day is peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I need right now.
    The answer is--I don't know where I go when I need to breathe. And that answer disturbs me a little. It tells me I don't take time to breathe.
    Mmmmm.
    I'll be thinking about this all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coyotes! What about the blood-thirsty coyotes?! Weren't they stalking you and slinking in the grass? That's what everyone told me when I first moved here... if you take walks out on the Colo Spgs prairies the coyotes will stalk you. Everyone told me to take a gun and a dog to fend off the coyotes!

    I think that ties in nicely with your metaphor too. :)

    (Beautiful pictures, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place. You are very blessed. I'm sorry for your recent troubles, I hope they are resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to go up in the Santa Cruz mountains behind our village.

    =)

    PS. NIce shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful... your pictures always make me miss Colorado. My only "breathing spot" these days is my back porch... just enough room for me to pull it together while the kids terrorize indoors. Not enough space for them to all join me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I go to the lake and if there's a kayak under my bottom, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! We all need a place to breath. Believe it or not mine is my bedroom. I love to be in there and close the door and read and relax.

    Love these pictures - The world is so beautiful even in the barren winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that song from Hillary Weeks. It is one of my favorites. I love to go on a walk, or even escape in a book or a library. It depends on what my need is in the moment. I love your walk. It looks like an amazing moment.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!