Wednesday, February 23, 2011

He that Hath Ears to Hear...

I work down the street from our house.
The Seminary building is next-door to my work.

So yesterday when I had a moment,
I noticed the Seminary teacher's bright yellow truck
still parked there after the class was long gone.
I went over and wanted to have a little chat with him.
You see, I suspected
my Super Sweet (almost) Sixteen year old,
is missing her early morning seminary class
more often than she is fessin' up to,
so I did what every Mormon Momza does--
she goes out and gathers the evidence 
so that when she confronts her rotten  inexperienced teenager,
she knoweth whatof she speaketh.
(I dunno why, but thinking about Seminary maketh me think about 
the scriptures, 
and thinking about the holy scriptures, 
doth make me speaketh like thith.)

Unfortunately-eth,
the teacher that satteth there, 
wath not Daisie's,
but he did gathereth up the attendance book
that belongeth to the other teacher
and I checked-eth it out.

The good news is,
she's going more than I thought.
So there will be no smiting or lashings.
The bad news is, well, it's not really bad, 
as more than "hunh?" kinda--
the different teachers call her by two different names--
her given name and her nickname.
Which inspired the teacher that was standing there(Bro. P) to call her 
"D-Squared". lol
I love Seminary teachers.

Since he and I had never met before,
and I have been blessed with the gift of gab,
I told him my whole life story--
well the part where I joined the LDS church at 16,
and was booted out of the house by my folks,
whereupon the members of the Church took me in 
as one of their own,
and one of those members was a Seminary teacher.
Thus, my soft-spot for Seminary teachers.

Eventually the conversation got back around to 
my Super Sweet (almost) Sixteen year old--
she's numero Cinco child,
and as has been noted before,
giving me a run for my money.

Brother P and I got to sharing our insights about 
rotten , er, inexperienced teenagers.
He noted that one of the challenges of any teacher
is to hold the attention 
of ALL of his students.
Some kids come prepared to learn
and some come prepared to yammer
while others come prepared to nap.

I shared that while my oldest son left the house
each morning with his sister and walked to the Church building
for seminary,
she went inside to class,
and he hung out in the parking lot, 
more than he'll admit.
Which causeth angst within mine heart.
(we're talking about Seminary again...thus the language of my fathers.)

Nevertheless,
mine son did go forth to serve a mission with honor and boldness
and did teach and baptize with the Spirit
causing many souls to follow the yearnings of their hearts
and come unto Christ.
And he did taketh up his bride to the Holy Temple
and there
sealed his love for Time and All Eternity.
Until at this time,
we see that he is the Gospel Doctrine Teacher 
in his ward.

And his sister doeth the same,
although her call is not as a teacher in her ward,
but she doth serve as a Secretary in her Stake Relief Society.

I also know of youth who went to Seminary faithfully,
and their light did so shine, yadda yadda--
but at this writing,
they are not active in the faith of their fathers.

So ya just never know what's going on between their ears.
And hearts.
But you can still show them love--
that's free
and always easy to understand 
in the language of their fathers.

**P.S.** I'm over at the Mormon Mommy Blogs Today!

6 comments:

  1. It is true that it is a great challenge to provide an environment where all students can learn in seminary--and especially to help the students take what they learn into their hearts.

    But--I also agree that you should never give up on anyone as you just don't know what is really happening with them, or what might happen in the future. My son in law ran into one of the teachers of his youth while in the temple. My SIL is from a part member family where the mother was inactive so he was not committed to the church. He only went to seminary and church occasionally for social purposes. The teacher he saw in the temple was SHOCKED he was there. He was even more shocked to learn he had been married in the temple and was a father.

    So--who knows what will happen? I think some kids are just late bloomers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thou art such a delight.

    I am certain Daisy is going to be a strong, independent, determined woman. It just may be stressful for her mother along the way! Some kids want to do it hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a parent is a hard job in many ways. All we can do is give our kids opportunities and experiences. From there on, it's their choice to take those opportunities and experiences where they will and forge a life for themselves.

    Happily, I think most of them choose well in the long run. And love makes all the difference, doesn't it?

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the seminary years. All four of our children attened Seminary, although I use the term loosely. I know they made it there but I am sure at least two of them were in the nap catagory. I also taught seminary for one year (and barely made it that long). I agree with Joy, some kids are late bloomers. The ones that 'seemed' to be sleepers are the ones who just might have learned the most, at least when their mouths were still their ears were open.
    Greatith post, I always lookith forwardith to your posts. Oh shoot now I am talking that wayith in my headeth...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids totally surprise us sometimes, but too often in my case , it's not withoutna thousand sleepless nights and as many tears.

    I love the seminary teachers insight. D-squared....too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just signed the second son up for seminary... having grown up in Colorado I am still baffled by this release time stuff though - what? I mean, is it even the same if you don't have to wake up at 5:45?

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!