Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How To Get Your Kids to Try New Foods

Hi, My Name Is Momza
and I'm a Foodie
and the mother of many foodies.

Afterall, who doesn't love
pizza, lasagna, fettucine, bechamel, and the smells out of an Italian kitchen?
Or
the delicioso-ness of pollo-fundido, fajitas, guacamole, burritos, enchiladas,
and all the warm cheesy goodness wafting from a hispanic cocina?
And even though I'll be hungry an hour later,
I love me some sweet n' sour chicken, fried rice, eggrolls and wonton soup!
Those are everyday kinda foods in our house--
to get us really going
offer up something different like
Haitian creole
Tandoori Chicken
Chicken Curry or Tika Masala
Pad Thai Noodles,
Vietnamese Spring rolls--
anything with a little kick to it
and we're IN!

And I do mean ALL of us!
We try it all...
one of the best ways to get your yahoos to eat a bigger variety
of foods
is to introduce them while they are young!

Take them to an All -You-Can-Eat lunch buffet
at a Chinese restaurant or an Indian food restaurant
and let the kids try whatever they want.
Make it fun by trying new things yourself!

Don't snub your nose at new things--
instead of saying words like "gross" when your tastebuds aren't delighted--
say,
"That wasn't my favorite. But wow! isn't it fun to try?!"

Food from other cultures helps kids make a connection with those cultures
and that's always good.

Birthdays are all about the food in our house--
when it's your bday,
you can pick the menu on your special day.
Daisie just turned 16 over Conference Weekend,
and her requests were:
crepes for breakfast
and
sushi for dinner.
I forgot to take pics of breakfast--
but boy! was it delish!
We did have a spread of homemade sushi though--
 Complete with the sushi dishes and chopsticks!

 And look at the Ninja Baby...
 Not his first time eating sushi...
n' definitely not his last!

So that's how I got my yahoos to try new foods,
what about your yahoos?
Any tricks or traditions you wanna share?

8 comments:

  1. Definitely agree with you--start early. Homemade sushi!?! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be more adventurous on some things. I love seafood, but I am not a fan of nori, at all. It really makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your sushi! It looks perfect!!

    And I LOVE Vietnamese spring rolls.

    =)

    PS. Good tips about encouraging kids to like food and be willing to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh...no.
    Scuse me while I go frow up.

    My poor kids never got to try 'new things' because of their momma. (hanging head in shame)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I set the tone and the example. My kids see me eat a WIDE variety of foods and they know that my favorite thing in the world is to go out with my best friend and try new restaurants and foods. Then I make it a big deal if I decide to let them come on one of our excursions. Make it tantalizing and grown up.

    Teagan, age 6, loves a specific roll at my favorite sushi spot and asks to go get that roll instead of ice cream for a treat. My heart sings!

    We went to an International Festival and she tried new foods and was so proud of herself for loving African food and Asian food and Greek food (but who doesn't love baklava?).

    My husband's not an adventurous eater at all. So my kids have to look to me to set that tone and open that door and I am more than thrilled to do so!

    As my friend pointed out- when someone swears up and down that there is no way to get a child to eat sushi, she always answers "Oh! Those poor starving kids in Japan who can't eat the food there!" Same for Indiana food, Greek food, Mexican, Asian, French, German... all those cultures raise their kids on those foods. It's all in the approach and the openness and eagerness that your kids see in YOU and your attitude to food!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT family fun... even for the baby.. I don't know too many baby's that will eat the seaweed! you make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family loves sushi. I was the pickiest eater on earth growing up and I learned from serving a foreign mission in a third world country that picky really means "there is something else I'd rather be eating". It doesn't really mean that you will die or get ill from eating that food. It is a matter of grace and attitude. With our six children, they are exposed to a variety of foods, and the successful rule is: You don't have to eat it, but you may not substitute. If you feel you are going to die or get ill from eating a particular dish, and hunger is preferable, that is OK. Just don't comment and keep that fact to yourself. They all pass up very little.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!