Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'm With the Band




Last night was two concerts for Joseph and Arianna--
he, on the clarinet and she, on the violin.
Joseph's been going to band under duress since about December.
Begging for permission to quit.
Mr W and I told him he could not quit but had to finish out the year he committed.


Before we left the house last night,
I asked Joseph if he needed to shower,
and he said 
"Mom, I've been nervous today. Band had to play for the whole school! I was so nervous, I was sweating. I forgot all the notes!  Mr. Schwartz said if we didn't know them, just fake it, so I did! And the kid sitting next to me, J*, wet his pants! I looked over at his lap and saw a big circle of pee! Can I just quit band right now?  Just quit. It's okay, another kid did. Can I? Can I? "

Ahhhh elementary school.

When we got to the school, 
I told Joseph to remind his bandmate to go potty
before they got on stage.


It was better than I expected.
Much better.

Lemme just say that the music was so good,
I didn't recognize any of it!
Each time a piece would begin,
I'd think--
"Did Ari ever practice that?
I don't think she knows it.
This does not sound like a cat in a blender."

"Is Joseph really playing his clarinet?
I never heard him play this song."

I was watching to see if he was faking it,
and
watching the pee-pot kid next to him.

The concert was good.
 I did ask Joseph afterwards if he played or faked it--
"I played the whole time, Mom.  Mr. Schwartz thinks I'll do good in middle school next year."

"So you're thinking you wanna be in band again next year?" I asked.

"Uh yeah. This was fun."

I'm getting a t-shirt
Rock on.

4 comments:

  1. Once again, fear is conquered.

    Right on!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I remember the days!! I also had a violinist and a clarinet player! The violin didn't last very long though. My daughter Kristen played the flute and after the first semester she could only play one note so at the Christmas concert she just watched the music until that note came along and then played it. Her band teacher told her she should find an instrument that didn't require any talent and do that instead. But she persisted and ended up doing well. It sounds like your kids are off to a good start!!

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playing in the band was one of the highlights from school for me. You and your husband are such wise parents, but of course your son won't recognize that for a few more years (or maybe decades).

    Oh no for the boy that wet his pants, he will be traumatized for life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a band parent for a long time now. Some of those early concerts were a bit painful, but they do get better! My oldest will attest it is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!