Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Teacher's Grace

Over this past crazy weekend of moving,
we also had a visit from my special needs son, Dean.

We had planned on having him here months ago,
long before we knew it was going to be a crazy weekend.
We didn't dare cancel,
because, seriously, I sleep better when he's
within arm's reach.
I just do.
All is right in my world,
when Dean is visiting.

And he loves to be needed,
loves to help,
loves to be where the action is--
so this was a perfect weekend to have him visit us
when you know this about Dean.

We worked hard all day long on Saturday.
All. Day.
Packing and moving
packing and moving.
And he never once complained.
I wish I could say the same for the rest of us.
We're so much a bunch o' whiners.
I get so cranky that I consider calling
ARC to come n' get whatever they can fit into their truck
n' call it a day
cuz we own more stuff than is legal in some countries.
And the little yahoos whine so much
that to get them to help is akin
to bowling with broken fingers.

Anywho, we worked hard all day Saturday,
and come Sunday morning,
well, we didn't go to church.
Two reasons really:
Dean didn't bring his Sunday clothes,
and I couldn't find the box with my underwear in it.
I'm not kidding. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

ANYWAY,
Sunday morning, I was looking at our family picture
where all of us are smiling and looking all radiant
after being sealed as an eternal family
in the Salt Lake temple right at 7 years ago,
I got all choked up n' stuff
like I do.
Dean came over to me and gave me a big hug.
I mean, a really big hug
where he didn't let go immediately,
because normally he's a hard one to get a good hug from
as it just stimulates him too much to bear.
But not this time,
he hugged me good and tight.
When we both let go a little,
I held his hands and said,
"I want you to know that I know you have been sent here
to teach me.  Thank you for being so patient with me.  I love you so much."
And then I wrapped my arms around him again.

Then, I pulled away to wipe the tears from my eyes,
and he started to walk away towards to back door,
when he did something unusual--
he turned back to me,
smiled
and slowly
took a bow.
The whole arms stretched open,
head down,
bending at the waist
like a
"it's-my-honor-to-teach-you"
bow.
It will ever remain the most gracious bow
I have ever seen.

And made my crazy weekend
awhole lot sweeter.

I love him.

11 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful moment, Dawn. Thanks for sharing it.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a precious spirit. Thank you for telling the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful moment you both shared. You are truly blessed to have him as part of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm sitting here in the ER with tears streaming down my face after reading this.
    (I don't cry pretty either)

    Beautiful post. Dean sounds like an amazing man and it is wonderful the things you've been able to learn together.

    Thank you for sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so interesting to me. It was if for that moment the veil was lifted and he truly understood his role and yours.

    Sweet story, thanks for sharing.

    And I am glad you are in your house. Hopefully you will get all settled in soon--and that getting there won't be like "bowling with broken fingers". :-) (That so made me smile!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an extraordinary moment. It is very touching and my thoughts too went right to the veil thinning a bit and his spirit could see yours and vice versa - You are so blessed to have him and I love when you tell us about Dean on your blog.
    Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I wish I could leave a comment without saying anything because sometimes words just feel like they get in the way. But what I mean is: Wow! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!