Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mother's Insomnia

2:53am
Danielle will be going into the hospital this morning
to have her labor induced with child number two.
She'll check in,
go to her assigned Labor and Delivery Room
meet her Attending Nurse
and wait for Dr. Bruce to come in
and break the amniotic sac
to see if that gets things going.

Mr. Idaho will be there to hold her hand
and tell her all the good things
she'll need to hear.
And begin a day that'll seal
August 24th, 2011
a very special day in their life.

And I'll be here,
going thru the motions of my daily things
wishing I was there,
in the room,
watching over her,
riding the waves of labor with her
every one.
Holding my breath until I hear
"all is well".
Thus, bringing us to the end of her
"Where'd That IUD Go?" experience.
***
Joseph has his very first track meet
today...
after running in 90-degree weather yesterday afternoon
he got into the car and said
"I think I wanna quit."
I nodded,
"Yes. It's very hot today. Let's get you cooled off."
His face was red and swollen,
pulsing from the heat.
I didn't tell him
it's going to be hotter today,
during his first meet.
But I'll be there at the finish line,
cheering and beaming when he crosses it.
That's what Moms do, right?
Gotta remember to bring icy cold gatorade
with me for his gonna-be-very-hot-runner's-body.

Scout's Court of Honor is Thursday.
Gotta be ready for that.

***

Visiting Teaching Brunch this morning
in 7 hours...
fruit, sweetbreads, egg casserole, juice.
I'm ready to get to know these sisters
I don't really know at all.
My VT companion is not who I thought she was at all.
I mean,
I knew her name
but not her heart.
I like her heart alot.
That's the best thing about Visiting Teaching, isn't it?
The whole process brings us closer
from "I know her name"
to "I know her heart."

***

Need to check on Mama C.
She's been home from the hospital over a week now.
I'll call her n' see if I can stop by later this week.
I hope she's let all those
"I AM AWESOME" feelings
sink deep inside her whole self
and not forgotten them
amidst the 2am bleary-eyed feedings.

***

Dean.
I need to call his host-home provider
and see how the new day program is working out.
I miss him.
Maybe we can see him this weekend.
His 26th birthday is Friday
and seeing him would be heavenly.
I'll call later this morning.

***

I wonder how Nana's throat is feeling.
Did she call to make an appointment for this morning
to see a doctor in Provo?
Said she had no honey or lemon in her new apartment.
No EmerGenC either.
Darn.
It'll be good to see her next weekend...
bringing a car load of friends from Provo home
for Labor Day to hike Pike's Peak
and eat Momza's cooking.
I'll make a huge pot of Green Chile Roast
for Burritos,
Southern-style Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
for breakfast...her one friend is from Charlotte, NC
and he'll like that.
We'll BarBQ on Labor Day.
Hmmmm maybe make a pie or a chocolate trifle for dessert.
Gotta set up the house to accomodate a bunch of college kids--
extra towels,
bedding
paper plates.
Can't wait to see her again.

***
Daisie's ready to get her driver's permit.
Need to get over my fear,
summon some courage
and let her get behind the wheel of the Suburban.
I am so not good at this "new driver" stuff.
But.
It's time.

She tried out for the Fall Drama Production yesterday...
"On the Way to the Forum", I think.
She's so brave.
Brand new to the school this year
and she's already putting her self out there.
Amazing.
I hope she gets a part.
Any part.
She's really blossomed since Nana left the post
as "Oldest" at home.
We may make it thru her teenage years afterall.

***

Arianna, my little Caboose--
she's so great with Baby Garrett...
stollers him around the block,
had him on her hip tonight
while she unloaded the dishwasher!
He cried for 10 minutes after I dropped her off
for school yesterday.
Just couldn't believe she got out of the car
and was gone!

He loves the dogs.
They're so patient with him...
let him lay all over them,
pull their tails and ears...
offers his toes up to their mouths
to be tickled by their tongues.
Crazy little kid.

And the reason I am up at 3:25am.
His stirrings in the night got me up
at 1:30am
and tho he went back to sleep
a few minutes later,
here I sit.
Alone in the dark,
with
Mother's Insomnia.

Daylight is gonne be here sooner
than I'd like.
Long day ahead.

Shoot! Just remembered--
David Scott's birthday is Monday.
What am I gonna send him?

.sigh.


6 comments:

  1. I don't think a mother's mind ever turns off. I find myself often thinking about anything and everything in the middle of the night as well.
    It goes with the territory and the title I suppose :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sounds like it's a big, exciting/normal day for you.
    Full.
    Full of all the stuff that makes days worth repeating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow reminds me of my days long ago. Busy was sometimes stressful but always happy...except for an other teen driver...UGH !

    As for that IUD, 'nature will find a way' !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, I feel the same way today. Heard my new grand-daughter crying, Let her mama try and comfort her for awhile. after an hour, I went and asked if I could help. she gave me the baby sobbing in relief. she is so tired. I rocked and walked that fussy baby until, finally, she slept. Grammas are good for that. I will miss that when I go back to being the mama at home with my bigger girls. Miss the tiny fingers and toes, miss the newness. I think I will miss the middle of the night wanderings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a perfect post. Thanks for letting us know your heart and not just your name.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The long hard beautiful blessings of being a Mama. Happy day to you, Mama and Grandmama. Best wishes for all your children.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!