Friday, January 13, 2012

Why I Read Blogs

I love writing, so I blog.
I love reading, so being in the blogging world reading others' thoughts about their journeys--
is kinda like a marriage of the minds, ya know?

I read in sickness and in health
for richer or for poorer...
you write it, I'm gonna read it.
There will be days of simple head-nodding on my part,
or honest-to-goodness cheerleading,
days of sympathy,
days that are just ordinary days.
It doesn't matter,
really, because I'm still going to click on your little blog
and read what you're observing in your life--
that's what bloggers do, right?

Once in awhile, I come across blogs that change me:
Daily Scoop
NieNie
Matt, Liz and Madeline
Enjoying The Small Things


Blogs where ordinary people face extraordinary sorrows and share their experience so honestly,
that, just to visit their blog lingers inside of my heart long after I've walked away from the pc
and even when I'm standing in the kitchen making dinner, I think about them.

Last night, I came across a blog that lingered in my mind all night long.
One that soon after I read just a few posts,
I got up and went n' found my babies and put my arms around them.
And man, the tears keep coming.
If you don't know Anne from An Inch of Gray 
you need to.
An eloquent writer, but first a Mother.
A mother who is grieving her son, Jack.
Take a tissue, go over and love her with your mother-heart.

This is the real deal. It's why we came to Blogland long ago.


4 comments:

  1. I've been reading Anna's blog for years. When Jack passed away, I literally cried for her. Her blog still makes me cry.

    She has such faith and spirit about her. In contrast to another blog I read, where the man lost his young niece, recently. He doesn't really have a belief in God. And the difference between their blogs is drastic. He is so, so angry.

    It makes me grateful for the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go check Anna's blog out. I'd never heard of it. I do follow a couple of the other blogs you mentioned, though.

    =)

    PS. This is one of my favorite songs by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It fills my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could only read one post from Anna and had to ex out. I am dreadfully sorry for her loss and pain, but I can not take that into my own life right now, with all its own struggles. Which probably sounds incredibly horrible and selfish of me.

    It would be very different of course if I'd been reading her blog all along.

    Also, it feels kind of creepy for me as a stranger to insert myself into her grieving process.

    One of the things I find difficult about blogland is that its so easy to stumble on to things you don't necessarily have the strength for. I'm an overly empathic person, so even just one skim of one post at Anna's blog has left me reeling and on the verge of tears. This has happened to me before when blog-hopping. In "real life" you can protect yourself alot from strangers' emotions, but its more difficult on the internet. I haven't found a solution to it yet.

    I hope that all doesn't sound awful or lacking in compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation. I cycled through all the posts and read about the accident and her family's faith. Truly inspiring. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!