Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Twilight Years & My Dad Part 2

Spoke to my brother Keir tonight.
He has a plan.
After a long day with our Dad,
he sat Dad down and laid it all out--
he said
"take a good look around you, Dad
because this is your last day here.
Pack up your important things
because tomorrow,
you're moving.
I'm gonna leave you here one more night
(because my Dad wouldn't leave there today),
but come tomorrow,
you will leave this place."

Keir said he had to repeat it a few times,
until he thought Dad understood him.
Keir said,
"I even used you Sis, I hope you don't mind.
I told him 'Dad, if you don't come with me,
Dawn's coming to Georgia,
and you don't want her to come here
and see you like this.'"

So that's when Dad nodded his head
and Keir thinks he made the point.

So yeah, Keir's moving Dad to
Georgia
closer to him
in a nice apartment
near his work
so he can check up on Dad
and make sure he's doing okay.

I'm ready to go whenever he wants me to,
so we'll see...
I can't wait to hear that Dad's moved out
of that situation.
I feel optimistic tonight.
We've made some progress today.

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging words.

6 comments:

  1. This is such a hard time, I know. We struggled so much with my husband's mother, wanting to do the right thing for her, getting her the help she needed but also wanting her to be happy with where she was and who she is with. I am glad your brother is there to help out. I think it will be hard for you to see your father like this, but also healing in other ways. Best of luck to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you-I hope things went okay yesterday. It is so hard when we need to "parent" our parents. Sometimes you have to step in when they don't want help for their own good. Don't feel bad that he may think you are treating him badly because YOU ARE NOT. I believe this is typical of the elderly. (i know whereof I speak) This is a hard time of life-when we have to take care of our parents, AND our kids and grandkids. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sarah: thanks so much for your encouragement.
    @marilyn: It took your comment "this is a hard time of life-when we have to take care of our parents, AND our kids and grandkids" to realize why I've felt so stressed. I hadn't taken a moment to step back and see the whole picture. No wonder I'm tired.
    @Lori: It will be difficult to see Dad in the state he is in, but one more good hug will make the trip worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must be a big relief for you. So glad it worked out that well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a hard thing...I can remember when Dave's mom was in a similar situation. Luckily, she already lived near his sister. But it was sad knowing she was slowly becoming lost to them, and they both did a lot of grieving the loss of their mother, years before she died.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!