Saturday, January 15, 2011

Come N' Get It

We had some pretty good dinners this week--
since I am working only part-Part-time for awhile
I've had more time to think about meals n' such.

This week I took requests and made them:

Stuffed Pork Chops (Mr W)
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Nana)
Hawaiian Haystacks (Me)
Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo (Boofus, Dani, and Nana)

Two nights were Taco Bell (tortilla with cheese, meat and vegetables in some form or other)
Papa Murphy's Pizza.(Hawaiian pizza, Cheese pizza and Veggie Calzone)

Here are the recipes I used:

Stuffed Pork Chops


Easy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls:
Preheat Oven to 375o
Head of Cabbage
ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef or pork will all work)
2 cups of rice
Spaghetti sauce
Italian Cheese (provolone, mozzarella, whatever)
Salt & Pepper


Get the Rice boiling. (2c rice to 4c of water)
Cut the core out of the Cabbage.
Place in Steamer and cook until outer leaf is soft, almost transparent.
While that's steaming,
brown ground meat, season to taste, drain off fat.


When the cabbage is done,
rinse with cold water in the sink, drain.
Gently peel off the number of leaves you want for the rolls.
Then, shred or cut up about 2 cups of cabbage leaves.


When the rice is finished,
Add meat, cabbage to it in a big bowl.
Now you have a choice:
You can add the spaghetti sauce to the mix right then,
OR
You can pour the spaghetti sauce over the rolls once they're 
ready to go in the oven.
We do a little of both.
Half in, half over.
Okay, 
so to make the rolls,
take a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the rice mixture
and plop in the center of a cabbage leaf,
then roll it with the natural curve of the leaf.
Place it in the pan, open side Up.
Repeat.
Sprinkle Cheese over top.
Bake for about an hour, until leaves are tender.


*****


Hawaiian Haystacks 


3-4 lbs of Cooked Chicken, cubed or shredded
2 jars of chicken gravy (I've also heard cream of chicken soup works too)
2 c Rice (throw that on to cook first)


Add Ons:
shredded cheese
chunk pineapple
water chestnuts
chopped up celery
crunchy chow mein noodles
slivered almonds
chopped green onions or red onion, chopped
Bell pepper in any color!


So you make the rice,
put some chicken on top
then stand back and let every one top it 
with whatever they want,
however they want.


Easy Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo


Bag o' Shrimp, cooked or uncooked, you decide.
2-3 Jars of Alfredo sauce ( we like Newman's Own or Bertolli's--whichever is on Sale)
Box of Fettuccine or Linguine noodles 
Parmesan Cheese
Seasonings like garlic salt, salt and pepper


So look at that, basically 3 ingredients. Love it.
Get the water going for the noodles.
Dump the sauce into a large enough pan that will hold the shrimp too.
If you have time, let the shrimp thaw and drain off the water
before adding them to the sauce.  It'll thin out if you don't.
Once the shrimp are drained and you can even pat them dry,
add them to the sauce.
Cook the noodles how you like them, drain.
And serve like you would spaghetti!
Top off with parmesan cheese, serve with garlic bread and a salad.



****


Dinner time is my favorite part of the day.
Yes, it's noisy and busy and everyone's hungry--
but the conversations around the table are worth 
the planning and prep time.
Most days.
Some days, it stinks on ice too.
Afterschool is a busy time for anyone who has yahoos--
which is why our Mutual night was Taco Bell
and the one night I worked and ran errands was Papa Murphy's.
Which is fine by my standards.
The important thing is we ate together.


Gotta keep your eye on the ball.
What about your week?
Any great recipes you wanna share? 

















10 comments:

  1. Nom, nom, nom. I love new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly cooked at all this week. Dave was home so late every night, so I just did a frozen diet dinner and took advantage of the opportunity to recover from all the holiday indulgences.

    Your recipes sound delicious...and pretty easy, which is a must for me!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cream of chicken soup only works well if you thin it out with some chicken broth.... and I love to top mine with chow mein noodles, slivered almonds, pineapple... and flaked coconut. it's sinfully delicious. The sinful part being true because it is SO not okay on my current diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh We are on the same wavelength- thinking about food! We LOVE Hawaiian haystacks around here too. I posted a Pork Chop recipe yesterday that we love but I am going to try yours too because I have never made them stuffed - those look yummy!!
    Shrimp Alfredo looks dang good too!!
    Thanks for some great new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I have never made cabbage rolls, they sound pretty easy. I don't know why I haven't made them because I have learned to love cabbage as an adult. Maybe there was some sort of 'cabbage trauma' I had as a child and haven't dealt with it yet. You have inspired me to try something new...thanks my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hawaiian haystacks! The little crunchy things are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice for me!! I just sat down to look up recipes for the week--wanting to try something new--but decided to read a few blog posts first. INSPIRATION!!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of that food sounds great! And working part-time is awesome when you still have a famiy to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am going to have to try those cabbage rolls. They sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad you were only part-part time this week.. and the recipes sound great, especially the shrimp alfredo- gotta try that one!!! love the family time!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!